DW735 Planer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
OK guys & gals,

I just got a Dewalt DW735 from my Dad who is downsizing and moving to a retirement community (which has a fully equipped community shop). This will replace my Delta lunchbox.

Question: I seem to recall seeing somewhere NOT to attach the exhaust port directly to a high volume dust collector due to it potentially causing problems with the DW735 internal blower. Can anyone confirm that? I have a Clearvue 1800 and the current planer port is 6". Just trying to figure out how I should configure the chip/dust collection on this beast.

Thanks!
Chris

LB75

George
I've run mine connected to a 2HP Laguna cyclone for a few years now with no problems.

llucas

luke
Senior User
i have mine on a 5hp Oneida cyclone system and it works perfectly....it has a 4 inch segment of hose going to the 6" mains.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Thanks guys!

I found the thread I was thinking about, finally. It's actually the opposite of what I was thinking. Per DeWalt (and danmart77), you don't want to hook it up to a unit with less airflow than the internal blower output - which kinda makes sense cause then the duct would eventually fill up and clog the planer.

Thanks again!
Chris

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
The only thing that will cause issues with the internal blower is a vacuum or DC that physically can not keep up with the blower's output resulting in excessive backpressure and the possibility of chips becoming impacted in the blower, but that is not an issue that will arise due to too high a volume dust collector. This is most likely to occur if your DC system becomes full and choked with waste to the point that there is no place for the air to exhaust.

That said, when using a dust collector with multiple inlets it really is critical to ensure that you have closed all the DC inlets serving the same line that the planer is attached to or you may discover your planer chips exhausting from your other attached equipment outlets rather than making the complete trip back to your DC as intended as the DW735 blower really does move a great deal of air since it is directly coupled to the output shaft of the high speed universal motor that drives the planer. I blew all the sawdust out of the bottom of my tablesaw one day when I left its DC port open and forgot to start the DC before powering on the DW735, which made quite the mess in my shop as sawdust rained down throughout the shop.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Thanks Ethan,

I hadn't thought about having another port in the same trunk open without the DC running. I guess because with my Delta which does not have an integral blower, it becomes immediately apparent that I did not turn the DC on!

My usual practice is to be sure all other DC ports are closed when I run any machine, in order to be sure I'm getting maximum collection efficiency on the one operating machine.

Your insights are as always much appreciated!

C.

cpw

New User
Charles
I use a Rigid 6 hp shop vac with a Dust Deputy drawing from the 2½" port. No issues.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Mine connects to a 35 gallon barrel with a Thein Separator which is connected to my Delta collector. Works like a champ!

:notworthy:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Chris when you cover up this impellar wheel in photo 1 with the plastic cover in photo 2 you create a strong flow of air evacuation. A while back, I experienced a problem rather common to the machine. A small piece of wood broke off a board being planed gently and it got in the plastic housing and cracked the inner plastic shroud in photo 1. I found the hole by feeling around the back of the clam shell.

The hole caused the upper deck of the planer to fill up with chips and making the adjustment wheels difficult to turn.

New part from Eplacement and back to work.

From an email from DeWalt, I found out that it is designed this way so the shroud breaks and not the wheel and shaft. I guess that's good? Haven't had an issue with the cover since then.

broken_impeller_cover_008.JPG

broken_impeller_cover_003.JPG

I don't use any suction now. I wheel the planer to my double door opening and shoot the chips outside. It can shoot the chips 15' from the machine on a calm day. Someday I hope to put a hose on it straight to a can. For now the cat just loves those chips.

DSC07164.JPG

LB75

George
I don't use any suction now. I wheel the planer to my double door opening and shoot the chips outside. It can shoot the chips 15' from the machine on a calm day. Someday I hope to put a hose on it straight to a can. For now the cat just loves those chips.

DSC07164.JPG

I'm strongly considering doing the same with mine just to make it easier to empty the shavings and save myself the number of times I need to empty the 35 gallon drum on my cyclone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS