DW621 2HP Plunge Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Does anyone else have this model? Whenever I mount this in my improvised router table, the &%$# thing vibrates itself off as soon as I let go of the switch. Just wondering if it's just mine or a design problem.

Seeing as this is under the Reviews section, I'll finish reviewing it:

Pros:
Plenty of power
Nice depth stops with fine adjustment
Nice to have flat sides on the base for following a strait edge
Good speed control
The chip collector works reasonably well
Cons:
The switch is a disaster. You have to be a double jointed monkey with 3 right thumbs to engage it...and then the lock doesn't work to lock it on. I'm currently considering rewiring it with a simple toggle switch.
The base is too small - for doing edge work with a bearing bit, it really needs one of those offset acrylic bases to give it more stability.

Overall, if I had to do it again, I'd shop around some more and probably buy something else. Don't ask what because this and a rinky-dink Crapsman POS are the only two I've ever used...

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Not sure where you saw those pros-and-cons. Not sure if I could be
of help.

I have the DW621 and a Hitachi M12V, both collecting dusts at this
moment, as I am going the non-electrical way.
Before I bought the DW621, I have read a lot from Pat Warner's website (http://www.patwarner.com), bought a couple of plates from him.

To my knowledge, the DW621 would be a nice plunge router, not for table use, but for hand held. I only used mine one or two times, it was OK.

The Hitachi (that goes on sale often), would be nice for table use (check out http://www.woodshopdemos.com for instructions).

Hope this helps.

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
i've got the 2hp, i wouldn't trade it for anything. mine is super quiet, the switch works very well and there is no vibration to speak of. these are all reasons i bought it, also i love the variable speed, i never go above three. you might have a dewalt service center take a look at it. as far as i'm concerned there is no match out there for this router, for table or hand use. the only other router i use is a dremel with really nice router base that is sold by stewart-macdonald (www.stewmac.com).

phillip

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I love mine. I have had it quite a while and have not noticed a problem with the switch. I always turn it on before I plunge it and I do not use it in the router table. I use mine mostly for pattern bit routing and dovetail jigs. It is one of my favorite tools. I am particularly fond of the fine depth adjustment feature. JMHO

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I have the DW621. I have used it both hand held and table mounted with no problem. Yeh, the switch is a little strange but I got the hang of it after awhile. I used it for about 4 years and then I smoked it up using a panel raising bit in it. :crybaby2: I took it to a Dewalt authorized repair dealer and they wanted $230 to repair it. :BangHead:

Anyone need a DW621 fand accessories or spare parts? Make me an offer.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
If the speed control is burned up then it can be repaired.
If however the motor windings are burned then it would cost too much to get it rewound.
I worked in an electronics shop that did industral repair for many many years
80% of the work was on the bench. if could see it i could tell if it can be repaired at a reasonable cost and might even have the parts myself.
and where to get it repaired if not.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
They listed the parts needed. Armature, field and brushes. Parts totaled about $130 plus about $100 for labor. :crybaby2:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I agree that the switch could be a bit of a bear to use when table mounted, but when using the machine by hand, the switch actually feels natural... Perhaps you should look into one of the body-grip Milwaukee's, they all have built in table-top adjustment, IIRC, and have a toggle switch. a little easier to operate in the awkward situation of the bottom side of a router table. If you switch does not lock on on the 621, get it checked out at one of the local Dewalt service centers, or compare it to another that may be close to home? Also, check out http://www.dewaltservicenet.com for parts support. I did recently discover that many service parts you may need can be ordered through Lowe's Tool World desk, too, and the prices compare well to dewalts SN.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
My first thought was to ask the DeWalt service center. Since they're practically never open, I stopped in one day when i was up on Capitol on a weekday afternoon. I talked to a younger guy who (after explaining to him what a router was) told me "nope, we've never seen that problem before". Needless to say, I didn't have too much faith in his reply. I've considered just installing a toggle switch and bypassing the goofy factory setup. Aside from defeating the safety aspect, I think that might be the best solution.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
DavidF:

The "non-electrical way" is:

I am picking up wooden moulding planes, about 20 or so round and hollow,
and 10 beadings, now; plus some dado, etc.
It takes more room than the routers and router bits, needs more maintenance
(keep the blade sharp, clean up and wax the wooden body), but it is
definitely quieter, and not much dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS