dust collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dnorris1369

Dustin
User
I know this may be a strange question to post. Im wanting to get serious about my dust collection in my shop. Im very confused to say the least about which dust collector to but,size and type of ducting,etc.... I was wondering if there was anyone local that would let me check out their setup. Its just tough for me to make a decision on which route to take without more knowledge. Im sure someone has been in this boat before and I think seeing some good setups would help me out alot before i waste anymore money. I am in the johnston county area. Four Oaks specifically. Also any suggestions by posts are also welcome. Thanks guys

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
How big is your shop? How many tools do you plan to connect to the system. Am I correct in assuming that you want the dust collector to remain in a fixed location and you will be running duct work to all your machines?

Dnorris1369

Dustin
User
I have a 20x30 metal shop. I currently have tablesaw, bandsaw, planer, router table wanting to add a jointer and drum sander. Also have drill press miter saw various sanders. I think I'll keep using shop vac and dust extractor for small machines. Yes I want collector fixed and duct to machines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
As a starting point, you might want to call Oneida Air. You can tell them the size of your shop, the specific machines that you have, how many machines you want to run at once, etc, and they will size a system for you. This can be done over the phone and it is free. It will give you an idea of "what ballpark you are in".

Again, I would suggest this as a quick starting point. I am also starting to seriously consider upgrading my dust collection. I am strongly considering the Oneida V-System 3000.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
You are welcome to stop by my shop and take a look at the DC setup. I am not too far from you in Willow Spring.

Router_cabinet_build_052.JPG

Router_cabinet_build_047.JPG

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
My actual work area is 30X35 and my DC system is connected to the same equipment you listed. Mine is below the concrete slab but if you're interested in seeing the suckage of multiple machine gates open at the same time, and what a big difference Wynn filters make, you're welcome to look at my setup.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
With a 600 sf shop and the dust producing machines you've listed, I recommend you also consider a ClearVue CV1800 cyclone with 6" PVC ductwork. You should be able to buy the needed 6" PVC pipe (white thin-wall sewer and drain D-2729 is preferred) at places like Agri-Supply in Garner and corresponding fittings at Lowe's. I use 6x6x6 wyes, 6" 45's, 6" couplings and 6" blast gates (ClearVue makes very good ones) with limited amounts of 6" PVC flex (McMaster-Carr makes a good version). Use wyes with a short straight pipe and a 45 for ceiling drops and a pair of 45's with 8-10" of straight pipe between them for a 90 turn. While still expensive, CV1800's are excellent performers as long as you have 8' of height available. While Mark has a beautiful system, his ductwork is fairly expensive by comparison.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
:thumbs_up McRabbet. I have basically the same system. I looked at Clear Vue and Oneida, but couldn't afford (didn't want to spend) the bucks so I simply added Super Dust Deputy to my existing blower (Jet 1100 (probably 900CFM at the best) and mounted it above the cyclone and exhaust outside.

If you went with something in the 1400 cfm range, I would think that's plenty. I would caution you about looking at other people's systems. I've seen systems in pretty impressive shops that violated just about every rule of thumb, including one where all the ductwork was flex hose (an I mean 100's of feet) draped all over the place (of course it had a gigantic cyclone in the 10hp range).

Have you checked out Penn State Industries? They will design a system for you for $100.

The only thing I would add to McRabbet is I designed my layout so the high producers (drum sander, planer, jointer) are all close to the DC. I thought (and still think) my DC is too small but it appears to work well enough to suit me.

Dnorris1369

Dustin
User
Thanks for the input guys great info And thanks again mark. I'm putting dust collection on a little break as I'm pricing building a new shop. So if I do this no reason to upgrade the old shop. Bringing up another point if anyone has any recommendations on places to check feel free to let me know. I'm thinking a 30x50 pole barn type. Probaly metal. I'm getting excited already

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Thanks for the input guys great info And thanks again mark. I'm putting dust collection on a little break as I'm pricing building a new shop. So if I do this no reason to upgrade the old shop. Bringing up another point if anyone has any recommendations on places to check feel free to let me know. I'm thinking a 30x50 pole barn type. Probaly metal. I'm getting excited already

Wow that will be a nice space. Are you planning to heat it, and if so, how?
My shop is in an old converted horse barn IMG_0262.jpg (notice the halter holder still on the door?) that is 60X40 but my actual shop space is 28X30 (and I wish it was bigger). I've since replaced the wiremesh with glass. I sheathed the outside walls in painted metal running sideways. Trimmed it all out with matching flashings, etc.

Just a suggestion, since you have so much room, have you considered building a couple sealed off rooms, like one for an office and one for finishing?

I build a 14X16 fully insulated and air conditioned room in one corner of my shop I've dubbed my "studio/mancave". It gets pretty hot down here in FL so its nice to have it to work in or just to get out of the heat a bit and have a cold one. I'm planning on putting a small workbench and I do my chip carving in there. It has french doors into the shop, so I could move a project in there to work on easily. I have a drafting table, desk, and some man cave stuff. Since its climate controlled I can keep my carving wood and my really nice tools in there for rust prevention. I'd like to put a bathroom in one day.This is the back door to the studio: IMG_0228.jpg

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi Dustin, some ideas for you:

1. New Shop - Go to Highland Woodworking's site they have a gallery of shops to look at.

2. The 4 inch green thin walled S & D pipe is a bell end pipe, but the non-belled end fits standard DC fittings.

3. I'm looking to buy a dust collector and have nothing but good reports on Harbor Fright's 2 hp. DC.

4. Ducting size - I feel 6 in. pipe in a small shop is over kill. I have seen a commercial shop running 3 in.with a very powerful DC and it worked. For myself I will use 4 in. Just my ideas.

Pop

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Hi Dustin, some ideas for you:

1. New Shop - Go to Highland Woodworking's site they have a gallery of shops to look at.

2. The 4 inch green thin walled S & D pipe is a bell end pipe, but the non-belled end fits standard DC fittings.

3. I'm looking to buy a dust collector and have nothing but good reports on Harbor Fright's 2 hp. DC.

4. Ducting size - I feel 6 in. pipe in a small shop is over kill. I have seen a commercial shop running 3 in.with a very powerful DC and it worked. For myself I will use 4 in. Just my ideas.

Pop
I used to think the same thing. From my experience I assure you 6" pipe is not overkill.

During a recent remodel, I demo'd my entire DC system and started from scratch. The old system was the 4" S&D pipe.
I did several things:

--Repiped in 6" with 4" drops. My shop is not big -- the longest run is about 20'.
--Kept my high producers closest (drum sander/plane/jointer)
--Incorporated a cyclone.
--Dismantled blower from mobile base and installed in a frame directly above cyclone.
--Got rid of the bag and vented outside.

The combination greatly reduced resistance and gave me a huge boost in performance, and this is with a 1 1/2HP 1100 CFM unit.
I was planning on getting a bigger blower, but I gave the old one a try and it works fine.
As far as HF, I've heard people say they are OK, but I would caution you to research blowers a little. There are big differences in steel vs. aluminum and from what I've read, the advertised CFM's are often overrated.

CFM and air speed are greatly affected by duct size don't limit your blowers capability with small ducting.

I've been in commercial shops with DC's that violated alot of rules about DC, so it doesn't make it right!

Dnorris1369

Dustin
User
Yes I'm for sure thinking of putting up some walls inside. Just not sure how yet. Maybe just seperate woodworking area from rest. It needs to be kinda multifunctional. Not sure about how to heat and cool yet. That part kinda scares me. Seems like it'll be #### on the light bill with that much space.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Yes I'm for sure thinking of putting up some walls inside. Just not sure how yet. Maybe just seperate woodworking area from rest. It needs to be kinda multifunctional. Not sure about how to heat and cool yet. That part kinda scares me. Seems like it'll be #### on the light bill with that much space.

Yeah, I'm with you on the $$ part. I would really like to have separate power out there. That would set me back about $4K. What it would take to insulate and button up the ceiling is just more $$$. That's why I love my little room I can retreat in there when its 95 outside. Good luck with everything. One more thing -- the shop projects that will inevitably come up -- take some time out for creative things because it can be overwhelming. I poured the slab on my remodel in Aug of 2013 and I still have cabinets to build and wood storage to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS