Dust Collection -- Tin or PVC

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Hi all,
I'm wanting to make my work in the shop a little more productive. For years, I've had a good-sized Delta dust collector -- but have dragged the hose from machine to machine. I also had a fold-away shop. My shop is in my double-car garage and I've arranged tools and work benches so that I could put everything to the side and still fit two cars. So... I decided that I'll forego my spot in the garage so that I can have my woodworking machines permanently in place. Now, I want to install ducts to those permanent locations. Question... tin or PVC?

Thanks,
Mark

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
I use both (also in a 2 car garage). I use a 6" metal main line, down to 4" pvc lines

Attachments

• DSC00795.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 51
  • DSC00794.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 43
  • DSC00793.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 37

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hi all,
I'm wanting to make my work in the shop a little more productive. For years, I've had a good-sized Delta dust collector -- but have dragged the hose from machine to machine. I also had a fold-away shop. My shop is in my double-car garage and I've arranged tools and work benches so that I could put everything to the side and still fit two cars. So... I decided that I'll forego my spot in the garage so that I can have my woodworking machines permanently in place. Now, I want to install ducts to those permanent locations. Question... tin or PVC?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark
I have had 4-6 pieces of 6-foot (?) long pieces of either 5" or 6" metal pipe kicking around outside for years. If you are interested I will confirm dimensions and offer you some for the same price I paid (way below new cost!). Might need a hose to clean out...

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Onida and ClearView have calculators. Important to maintain a minimum velocity.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I am a proponent of 6" (and 4") Sewer & Drain PVC (ASTM D-2729) with 6x6x6 or 6x6x4 wyes and 45 degree elbows. Minimize use of Flexible duct due to high static pressure drop per foot and place blast gates close to machines. I have a ClearVue CV-1800 5HP cyclone. Check Clearvue Cyclones website for compatible blast gates.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
The best investments I've made in two different shops (my home basement shop and, now, a community shared shop) was the installation of a Clearview CV-1800 in my home shop and the slightly larger CV-Max for the community shop. 6" Sewer & Drain PVC (ASTM D-2729) pipe as far in every run as possible. Very minimal use of corrugated flex hose. The thin wall PVC D-2729 has worked extremely well, and was easy to cut and to install. Straight runs and 45-degree drops allow(ed) for strong air flow throughout both shops.

Darl Bundren

Allen
Senior User
My system sounds similar to McRabbet's--2729, 6" as close to the machines as I could get, and short runs of flex just to connect to dust ports. It all terminates in a Clearvue of some model--I got it long ago when Ed (can't remember his last name, or maybe even his first name :) ) was fabricating them all in Upstate SC. Cut to length with a jigsaw, deburred with a sanding block, and hung from the ceiling with plastic plumbers' tape.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
My system sounds similar to McRabbet's--2729, 6" as close to the machines as I could get, and short runs of flex just to connect to dust ports. It all terminates in a Clearvue of some model--I got it long ago when Ed (can't remember his last name, or maybe even his first name :) ) was fabricating them all in Upstate SC. Cut to length with a jigsaw, deburred with a sanding block, and hung from the ceiling with plastic plumbers' tape.
You are trying to recall the originator Ed Morgano who with his son lived in Pickens, SC where they fabricated the cyclones in their shop building before they sold the company in the late 1990's. The new owners were three brothers -- the Busheys -- who managed the company (James) from Vermont, developed the manufacturing in the Seattle, WA area (Paul) and conducted their bookkeeping from Texas (Chuck). I bought my system in October 1997 in Pickens from the Morganos.

Last edited:

lhmayberry

Les Mayberry
Corporate Member
Not trying to hijack the thread, but my question is if using plastic pipe, and you need to ground it. Would you need to run your ground outside of the pipe or should it be inside? I have followed many conversations about dust collection and never heard any explanation as to which is best.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Not trying to hijack the thread, but my question is if using plastic pipe, and you need to ground it. Would you need to run your ground outside of the pipe or should it be inside? I have followed many conversations about dust collection and never heard any explanation as to which is best.
PVC duct pipe will build up a static charge on its surface as particulates run through it. While more a nuisance than a hazard, the charge can best be dissipated using a strip of metallic HVAC tape along the length with short sections of copper wire between short screws to jumper joints and a ground wire to earth ground wherever convenient. A ground wire can also be attached to the metal coil wire in flexible duct to capture the charge.

lhmayberry

Les Mayberry
Corporate Member
PVC duct pipe will build up a static charge on its surface as particulates run through it. While more a nuisance than a hazard, the charge can best be dissipated using a strip of metallic HVAC tape along the length with short sections of copper wire between short screws to jumper joints and a ground wire to earth ground wherever convenient. A ground wire can also be attached to the metal coil wire in flexible duct to capture the charge.

Thanks I need to upgrade what I h since I've noticed a lot of static build up recently

Darl Bundren

Allen
Senior User
You are trying to recall the originator Ed Morgano who with his son lived in Pickens, SC where they fabricated the cyclones in their shop building before they sold the company in the late 1990's. The new owners were three brothers -- the Busheys -- who managed the company (James) from Vermont, developed the manufacturing in the Seattle, WA area (Paul) and conducted their bookkeeping from Texas (Chuck). I bought my system in October 1997 in Pickens from the Morganos.
Yes! My dad and I drove down there, toured the place, Ed helped me assemble the motor housing, and we headed back up the mountain. Ed was really nice--I learned of them reading Bill Pentz's site, I think. And, I grounded my system the same way you grounded yours.

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
Not to be repetitive but the decision of tin or pvc is the last one to make. If you do not have air flow and piping layout to start with that optimizes your equipment and actual collector, I will guarantee you will be disappointed. I put in my first system in 1977, I moved three times and built three systems the last in 2016. I am 77 now so it is the last. Each time I used professional help - HVAC and the last one Oneida to get it right. I sent Oneida my layout and they recommended a routing, different than I had laid out myself. I assume they still do this. I am including a picture of my final layout, it may look elaborate but it is taking care of a table saw, a miter saw, a band saw, a jointer, and a planer. It has drops that can handle tools on wheels ie belt / disk sander and router table. I could not find a drawing of the first pass I did but instead of the main duct at a diagonal it was parallel to the length of the walls. In the upper right is the net result of the change, it may not look like much but every inch and bend you can eliminate makes a big difference in flow. That room is 12' by 33'. I checked out my garage and if using a wall side it is 11' x 28' not that much difference. Here is link to the resource section to what I did, you can down load it Pro2000 Installation

Take your time, get the layout optimized then worry about tin or PVC, BTW my first two were PVC and this last one tin.

I wish you luck, you will be pleased

Bob

Dus Collection Layout.jpg

Last edited:

teesquare

T
Senior User
Hi all,

Thanks,
Mark
A few questions:
1. What size of DC are you considering. More Hp= larger diameter pipe. Most of us undersize the pipe - sacrificing performance.
2. Would you consider putting the DC outside if you value the space, and want a quieter shop?
3. Do you have neighbors near enough that might shoot you if your DC is outside and you like to work early or late?😁

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks Henry... definitely interested!
Mark - I have 7 or 8 pieces of 6" diameter, 58" long HVAC ductwork. I'll charge half of waht I paid, which is nothing. SO free. Please contact me if interested.

EDIT - GONE, thanks Mark - hope it works for you.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors