Dust collection recommendation for Dewalt 735X planer

buckaroo

Buck
User
I just got a Dewalt planer and I want to set up a dust collection system to handle it and my table saw (one at a time). I can use my shop vac to collect from other tools. I very limited space so I'm thinking I should get a wall-mount system. I'd like to have 1 micron filtration. Powertec DC5371 fits these 2 requirements, and gives 560 CFM. Is that enough to handle the planer output?
I'd also like to add a cyclone separator to help save the impeller and filter bag. Any recommendation on this?
I haven't had anything except a shop vac before, so any advice is welcome?

Echd

C
User
I use a 735x and honestly the fan on that thing is so monstrous that I feel like I could just stick a hose on the end of it and it would vent itself. That isn't really too much of an exaggeration either.

The DC you're looking at will be fine. A cyclone would be a great idea because you will fill your DC bag very quickly and while it's hardly rocket surgery, taking the bags on and off of those styles of dust collector is a chore.

That said you should consider a DC a little bigger if you can swing it. Being able to fit a pleated filter is a major benefit- those cloth bag filters great restrict airflow and therefore also throughput. I am very skeptical that that model actually has 1 micron filtration, maybe it does, but I have never heard of a bag filter that did and even if it does, the suction is going to drop to zero as soon as you start filling that bag.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I would look at collecting the larger stuff you can see in a Thein diy accumulator or a large Dust Deputy on top of a barrel and shoot the fine stuff outside. The DW735 fan will be restricted with a small dust collector and the chips will clog the hose and back up into the planer. We've had many threads with troubleshooting requests. Bill Pentz is a great reference for dust collection. He has this reference table for setting up a system. Just remember that flow specs by most manufacturers are grossly overstated and using a static pressure measurement of the system is the best way to know your actual flow.

Hobbyist Fan Table.jpg

buckaroo

Buck
User
Thanks for the replies and the technical detail. I see that I need to do some more thinking, and probably need to put a bigger crowbar in my wallet.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I have a 2 hp grizzly with 6" piping that does an excellent job with the planer but is borderline with the table saw.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
You can always do what I do- roll it out to driveway, plane away, then with a broom and flat shovel sweep up the sawdust and put around our bushes instead of pinestraw.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
You can always do what I do- roll it out to driveway, plane away, then with a broom and flat shovel sweep up the sawdust and put around our bushes instead of pinestraw.
That doesn't attract termites? I've has a couple bags of mulch laying around that had termites in it.

I don't have one, but my understanding is the fan does a good job on the 735. I would wait until you get it up and running. I've seen people attach a small length of 4" hose and run it into a plastic bag.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I use a 735x and honestly the fan on that thing is so monstrous that I feel like I could just stick a hose on the end of it and it would vent itself. That isn't really too much of an exaggeration either.

The DC you're looking at will be fine. A cyclone would be a great idea because you will fill your DC bag very quickly and while it's hardly rocket surgery, taking the bags on and off of those styles of dust collector is a chore.

That said you should consider a DC a little bigger if you can swing it. Being able to fit a pleated filter is a major benefit- those cloth bag filters great restrict airflow and therefore also throughput. I am very skeptical that that model actually has 1 micron filtration, maybe it does, but I have never heard of a bag filter that did and even if it does, the suction is going to drop to zero as soon as you start filling that bag.
As stated here by Echd...I can verify that the fan on this machine leaves zero chips on the boards for the few times I've used this machine (new to me). I just have a flex hose into a plastic drum to catch the chips but I plane outside (for now). Another option to benefit your mahcine; If you're hooking up dust collection then you can by-pass the fan motor and gain a little more power for planing (less risk of bogging down the planer as easily when taking wider cuts or trying to take more than 1/8" at a time).

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
If you're hooking up dust collection then you can by-pass the fan motor and gain a little more power for planing (less risk of bogging down the planer as easily when taking wider cuts or trying to take more than 1/8" at a time).
I'm not sure you can bypass the fan on that planer without surgery. I have a 20+ year old DW735 and I know it can't be bypassed. If you have a strong enough dust collector with enough flow and 4-6" diameter hose it can be connected to it. A Shopvac level of power and flow won't work.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
In this case capacity is probably more important than suction. As previously stated the fan on the 735 will push the chips as long as the hose is not too long and doesn’t have to tight of a bend.

I have a DC with flexible hose so I can move it from table saw to bandsaw to planer. The thickness planer will generate the most volume by far. I can fill a 30 gallon bag in a couple hours of planning.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I'm not sure you can bypass the fan on that planer without surgery. I have a 20+ year old DW735 and I know it can't be bypassed. If you have a strong enough dust collector with enough flow and 4-6" diameter hose it can be connected to it. A Shopvac level of power and flow won't work.
It does take surgery but it's super quick & easy. YouTube it...I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was hooking up dust collection.

buckaroo

Buck
User
I like the driveway suggestion. But I lack a driveway.
I got tired of contemplating this matter and bought a Rockler Dust Right 650 CFM collector and a 1 micron cannister filter. Both were discounted at Rockler in Cary in response to Amazon's Prime Day. We'll see how they do. Thanks for all the feeback. NCWW site is a great resource.

Echd

C
User
I think you made a good choice over the bag unit. Your lungs and the cleanliness of your shop will thank you.

If you aren't stretching the budget too far go ahead and get a dust deputy while you're setting up. If will keep your filter cleaner and make dumping sawdust so much less of a chore.

buckaroo

Buck
User
I checked with Rockler product support and they don't sell a cyclone separator for use with the Dust Right 650 FM. The rep said they didn't know if air flow would be sufficient along with the HEPA filter. Have you used such a setup? Any recommendations?

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Hey Buck, I built a Thien Separator (search the internet for details) for a cyclone. It works fantastic! Since you're in Durham, you could swing over to my shop in Chapel Hill to see how I built mine and see how well it performs.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
I do my planing outside but hook up to a ShopVac model 90 through a 2 ½ inch collector line. The collector line is a discontinued ShopVac system but it is attached to the Shopvac through a Dust Deputy cyclone dust collector. The only problem is that the dust collector is in the shop and if I forget to turn on the ShopVac the 735X produces enough output to blow the top off of the Dust Deputy and that really gets dust all over the garage shop.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors