Dust collection for Dewalt 735X

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I am wondering what y’all are doing for dust collection with your Dewalt 735 planers. My first inclination is to hook up a 4” flex line and let it rip into my DC setup (barrel separator, cartridge filter). But after watching a few YouTube videos I have seen some comments saying the 4” line causes back ups in the machine and that it’s recommended to use a sock in a barrel or something similar. What do you do?

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I got my 735 used but it came with a hose that goes to a bag that fits over garbage cans (DeWalt DW7353). I don't think these are made anymore but it is great. Not suction required, the planer just blows these right into the garbage can that you can just dump when full. If you can find one of these I would encourage you to do so. Link below to visually see what I am talking about. This uses a standard 50 gallon can, mine has a plastic one so it doens't have to be a metal can.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
This setup. works well for me . . .

Attachments

• Shop Vac.jpg
    Shop Vac.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 118

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I run mine into my dust collector, thein baffle on a brute trash can and then a cartridge filter. Only issue I run into is the fan on the DW735 is actually rather strong so I have to put a couple clamps on the thein baffle or I can get a little bit or a leak

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
Mine is connected to a clear flex 4in hose that goes about 2 ft into my DC (1.5hp Rikon with dust deputy) and it works great. No issues, much better than my previous set up which was a shop vac connected to a rigid planer. Being able to connect directly to the back via 4in hose and the fan it has to blow out chips works really well.

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
I connect mine to my HF DC via lots of twisty turny short pipes and hoses into a Super Dust Deputy. Never have a problem unless I forget to check the trash can. Then I spend a couple of hours cleaning the filter....

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have mine on a mobile base. I push it outside whenever I want to use it and let nature have the shavings. Mine is a basement shop, so running it inside is too much noise anyway.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I've used the DeWalt hose and barrel cover attached to a 55 gallon plastic barrel. It works great, as long as the draw string keeps the fabric cover on the barrel. When it fails, I get to clean my neighbor's pool (happened 2X in 10 + years).

I always take my 735 DeWalt planer outside to use it. The first day that I brought it home I was eager to see how well it worked, but didn't have the hose for it yet. With it sitting on a work bench at one end of my shop I ran a 18" scrap of 2 X 4 through it. The chips coming out hit the wall at the other end of my shop at almost the same height as the planer. What a mess. I waited for the hose to arrive, and have since done all of my planning outside my shop in the driveway. I mounted the planer to a Delta miter saw/planer stand that folds and wheels easily like a hand truck with the planer still attached. The planer is far too heavy to move around by it's handles without help. I leave it on the stand and sitting upright in the corner of my shop until needed, then roll it out into the driveway to use. I lay the handle down on the driveway and lift the top with the planer attached, up into the working height where it latches in place. I connect the hose and barrel and begin using it.

When finished, I lift and push the latch release, and then lower it to the ground. Gas springs in the frame remove much of the weight, making it much easier to lift and lower. I then lift the handle and wheel it back into my shop, again leaving it standing on end like a hand truck until I need it again. I keep the barrel upside down behind my shop to keep the inside dry and it's out of sight back there until I need it again. DeWalt makes a similar design miter saw/planer stand. The design was new when Delta and DeWalt separated, so I guess both got the rights to make them. DeWalt has improved the design considerably since then. I would get the DeWalt if I was buying new today. I made an adapter to match the mounting holes of the planer to the mounting rail spacing of the stand from a piece of 3/4" cabinet birch ply. It went together easily. after that.

There is a Black And Decker Leaf Collector hose and barrel cover that is very close in design to the DeWalt hose and cover that is now discontinued. I haven't tried one of these, but it may be worth looking at one to see if it can be used.

www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Leaf-Collection-System-Attachment-for-Corded-B-D-2-in-1-Leaf-Blower-Vacuums-BV-006L/202045620

If anybody tries this, I would like to know how well it works. My DeWalt hose is beginning to need replacement.

Charley

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Broom and shovel. Much easier than emptying a DC every 10 minutes. Planers make chips, lots of em.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I have mine attached to 4” flex hose to my dust collector. Never had any issues. I’ve done the bag on the back before and worked fine too.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I decided to run mine right into my thein baffle/ garbage can setup. Can’t see adding another garbage can to the shop.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I bought my 735 used and didn’t realize I was missing the DC adapter until this thread. I was wondering why DeWalt didn’t design the port to be compatible with a 4” hose duh!

Thanks for bringing to my attention, one of the many pros of this site. Ordered on Amazon for $15.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
As they make chips, not dust, the bag or barrel works fine. I happen to run mine into my DC, but it is the monster ClearVIew and a few chips in a 4 inch line it just laughs at.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
4" flex tied into overhead line going to 2hp DC. Only clog Ive ever had was at the DC . Works beautiful

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors