Front.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Open.jpg
    Open.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 115

MarkW

New User
Mark
WOW! Thats some beautiful wood and the box itself is a masterpiece. Someone is gonna get lucky soon with that box.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Pete, that looks beautiful. I like the "point" you left on the base cutout...nice detail. The wood is gorgeous. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Pete, I really like that design. And it looks really good in BEM. Great job :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Pete, I was admiring your box and I noticed in one picture that the plug where you installed the pivot pin for the lid is visible. One thing I have done in the past to make it less conspicuous is to whittle a little plug out of some scraps left over from the project. If you whittle your plug so that face grain is showing it will almost disappear when you glue it in and sand it flush. I have also found that I use a dab of clear epoxy to glue the plug in the glue line is not as visible.

No criticism intended just suggesting ways to make a wonderful box even better. Nice job!:icon_thum :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Fine looking box, Pete!!!

I was looking for the hinge and noticed the pin on the side. What is the pin made out of and how did you manage to get its location so accurate?

The "legs", DT's and handle are very unique!!!

Great job! I too really like your choice of wood and the fine finish!

Wayne

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I thought a bit about the hinge pin. For this one I decided to leave it visible. It's 3/16 brass rod. I hadn't thought of using a plug to hide it. Might try that on the next one . . . or I might try to drill the hole part way through from the inside and trap the hinge pin inside. That could be a little tricky.

The bottom is 1/4 ply with a BEM veneer. I got a bunch of it for cheap a couple of years ago. It's a bit wavey but it flattens out OK. I just glue it up good, sandwich it between a couple of pieces of MDF, sit my planer on top and let it sit overnight.

pete

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Beautiful looking box Pete. Your DTs really look sharp and I love how you cut the recess in the front panel for the handle and used the lid to serve as the handle. Great job.:icon_thum

D L

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Pete,

That's only box number 2??? It's beautiful. Everything from the dovetails to the wood selection and matching, to the design is perfect. This kind of inspiration makes me want to leave the office and got back into the shop (and learn how to make boxes.)

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS