Drill press with laser, useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss600r

New User
Steve
I have not used a drill press with a laser before. Are the really useful or more of a gimmick?

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I put an aftermarket laser on my drill press. It was OK but I had to readjust it every time the table moved plus the batteries went dead very quickly. I wouldn't buy one again.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I have a few tools with lasers, and I have all but forgotten the lasers were there. I don't trust them at all. :no: Just one more thing to have to line up. :BangHead: I prefer to just check my cuts the old fashioned way. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Glennbear

Glenn
My large drill press came with a laser mounted on it and I have found it to be a useful aid but I still check my bit alignment. :wsmile:

timf67

New User
Tim
I added an aftermarket laser to my steel city DP and I love it. It took some time to get it set up right (the directions were a little lacking) but now, the laser is dead-on even if I move the table, the laser stays in the center axis of the drill chuck. My only gripe is that it is battery powered, and I often forget to turn it off... :eusa_doh: I should buy stock in Duracell! :widea:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I have an after market one on my drill press. It is plug in, so no battery issues. It can be tedious and hard to align, but once done it stays aligned even when the table is moved vertically. Favorite accessory for my drill press.

I had another one that was battery operated, but I always forgot to turn it off and it was always dead when I needed it.

If you are one of those self disciplined people who will remember to turn it off when not being used, I have a still boxed laser from Woodcraft that is just sitting in my shop somewhere that the first person who PMs me can have they come over to pick it up. I'll even throw in a lesson on how to align it so it will be aligned in no matter where your table is moved (within reason:gar-La;)

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Steel City was selling their laser unit at a big discount at a WW show a few years ago, so I bought one.

I hard-wired the little wall wart power supply inside the pulley/belt housing so I don't need to worry about batteries and I mounted the laser unit to the underside of the headstock instead of the column- that way it stays aligned if I rotate the headstock which I do often to drill in a new area of the table insert.

While it stays aligned and works well, in truth, I rarely use or rely on it other than as a coarse indicator of alignment.

Much more useful mods have been a hard-wired task light, conversion to VFD variable speed control w/digital tach, and a keyless chuck (added after pic was taken).

DP-12.JPG

DP-13.JPG

DP-6.JPG

drillpress-11.JPG

drillpress-6.JPG

timf67

New User
Tim
Steel City was selling their laser unit at a big discount at a WW show a few years ago, so I bought one.

I hard-wired the little wall wart power supply inside the pulley/belt housing so I don't need to worry about batteries and I mounted the laser unit to the underside of the headstock instead of the column- that way it stays aligned if I rotate the headstock which I do often to drill in a new area of the table insert.

While it stays aligned and works well, in truth, I rarely use or rely on it other than as a coarse indicator of alignment.

Much more useful mods have been a hard-wired task light, conversion to VFD variable speed control w/digital tach, and a keyless chuck (added after pic was taken).

drillpress-12.JPG

drillpress-6.JPG

drillpress-11.JPG

drillpress-6.JPG

So, when are you going to post the how-to's on those nice upgrades??? :gar-Bi

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
I have the Delta 16-1/2" and it came with a laser and task light. I like both. Hear are my complaints. The laser is 9v battery operated and was really an after thought at Delta as it is not built in, but straddles the column. The task light is 110v ac but has its on cord and plug. So, on this unit you have 3 different power sources. Two 110v ac and one 9v battery. The Porter Cable has task light and laser built in to the unit and only one power source. Neither have ac variable speed, wonder why? I hate moving belts.
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors