Drill Press question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I am new to using a drill press and I am having trouble making sure I hit my mark when drilling a hole. Any thoughts or recommendations.

Monty

New User
Monty
I always use a fence with the DP, and often also use a clamp to keep the workpiece from moving any. Also, bring the bit down to the mark to make sure it lines up with the mark with the DP off first. If you're still not getting accurate results this way, it may be due to runout.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
As Monty stated using the fence and clamping the piece down works will with a few holes. When I was building the shutters for my office windows I had a ton of holes to drill. To get these true I set a fence up and center punched every cross hair. Drill bits work the same for wood as metal the drill point will move the piece to where it is centered . Hope that helps Nick

Attachments

• DSC00404.JPG
    DSC00404.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 245

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
use an awl or small nail punc to put a small indentation where you have need your whole, it will keep your drill bit from wandering at the stat of the whole

sapwood

New User
Roger
All of the above and use bradpoint bits, they don't wander as much . . . especially with small diameter bits.

Roger

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
If you absolutely need a perfectly aligned hole- a two step process will work- first use a centering point available for drills and routers at WW stores to align the drill head; put some pressure on the centering point and lock the quill; clamp the work to the table; unlock the quill and swap out the centering point with the drill bit and drill the hole. It is time consuming but really accurate. If you are just drilling holes that do not need to be precise, bradpoint bits are the way to go.

J

jeff...

X marks the spot, pop a little hole in center of the X with a nail or whatever is pointy. Chuck up a brad point drill or forsner bit and away you go. Sometimes depending on the piece, a fence and clamps may be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors