Drill press chuck key and spanner wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Any good local sources for a drill press chuck key and a spanner wrench to match the collar above the chuck?

I think I need a "K3" chuck key. My old drill press key had this marking and worked fine on my new to me PM1150A.

As for the spanner wrench I am not familiar with these but I need one to remove the chuck. google didn't turn up much. Not sure if these come in standard sizes or if they are secialized.

Thanks!
Salem

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Salem,

I bought a 4 way chuck key at HF one time figuring it would be nice to have a spare around. It doesn't fit my cheap little 1/2" DP at all. You are welcome to try it and see if one of the keys fits yours and keep it if it does.

PM me if you are interested and I will make sure I can actually lay hands on it...

eyekode

New User
Salem
Yes, I have both of the manuals they have posted for this drill press. Here is the picture of the chuck/collar:
69CG9306.JPG

View image in gallery

As you can see there is some rust and I believe that is what is making it so darn hard to remove. My first attempt was to use a drill bit in the collar ring. I used the correct diameter and drilled it through a piece of scrap to make a longer lever arm. Didn't work. The hole you see was already elongated before I bought the press but the right size drill bit didn't slip a bit. Still plenty of good steel in there.

The chuck itself doesn't work very smoothly. If I can disassemble it and clean it maybe it will work better. If not I will just buy a new one. But either way I have to get the stoopid thing off first :).

Thanks!
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
Andy that sounds great. Let me know if you can find it and I will swing by.

I also did a little more de-rusting and it is clearly marked as a Jacobson 633C chuck. So I am pretty sure I can find the correct matching chuck key online but was still curious if I could find one locally.

Thanks again!
Salem

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Maybe get a cup and fill it with either 50/50 acetone and ATF or Kroil and let the chuck soak in that.
Or maybe use PB blaster.

You might also try to heat it with a heat gun to help break loose the rust.

It would be easier to work on if you dropped the quill, but that seems to be a fair amount of work.

the tool you are looking for is a Pin Spanner. The come in fixed radius/pin sizes and adjustable.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Ah ha! That is the tool I am looking for! Thanks "spanner wrench" wasn't giving me what I wanted in google.
Salem

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Salem, you can buy chuck keys online from either McMaster Carr or Grizzly.

I might have a pin spanner that would fit it that you could borrow. If you will tell me the diameter of the pin hole and the diameter of the steel collar that the pin hole is in, I can check to see.

SS

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Salem, Paynes on Highway 55 near Research Triangle Parks stocks K-3 chuck keys. I had to get one to fit my son's magnetic drill a couple years back. .

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have never heard of Payne's. But I looked it up and Payne's is really close to my office. I will give it a shot if Fastenal in Hollysprings doesn't work out (going that way tomorrow anyway).
Thanks!
Salem

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Perhaps the chuck comes off another way?

Not sure how that chuck attaches, but most of the chucks I have seen fit up on tapered mount or spindle drive. To get most drill press chucks off, a set of metal wedges are lightly tapped into place, between the chuck and the frame, to pop off the chuck off of the mount.

Might want to check how yours is put together before drilling any more.

Once you get it off, you might want to just replace with a good Jacobs, or like, chuck.

DaveD

New User
Dave
A decent ACE hardware may have the chuck key. Sometimes they are in those specialty drawers.

Back in 'the old days' the handle on the chuck key was turned down so you could use the key handle and just smack it with a hammer or block of wood. Of course the chuck key had a tendency to fly across the room.
ENCO (www.use-enco) also has chuck keys and spanner wrenches.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Re: Perhaps the chuck comes off another way?

The manual says specifically to not use wedges. It looks like the whole purpose of the ring is to force the chuck off the spindle. It actually is a Jacob's chuck and the run out is not very bad (.004 on a chucked up 1/2" router bit). If I can get it to loosen up and move smoothly I will keep it. Otherwise I will replace it.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Dave,
I ended up buying the key from Fastenall in Hollysprings. The price wasn't great and they charged me 1$ for shipping (? huh ?) but I guess that is the cost of buying locally :).

It would have ended up cheaper buying from enco and paying for real shipping!
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors