Drill bit Sharpening

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
under 1/4" throw it away and buy a new one -
1/4" and up - Drill Doctor - not sure if Klingspor @woodworkingshop.com has them or if you have to search in the wild...

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Same as Mike...I sharpen all sizes by hand...I also learned in machine shop class, then I taught my students when I taught machining...it's a practice thing.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I gave up. Has a drill doctor and never got a useable drill. Just made asymmetrical messes by hand. I guess I need someone skilled to show me.
So, I buy them in packs from whatever machine supply I find at the time.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I picked up a Drill Doctor way back at a yard sale. It was in a Lot deal. Works pretty darn good! I use it for most any size, but below about 1/8" and things get iffy...

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Kudos to Phil an Mike, but most people (including me) do not have the patience nor skill to sharpen a drill bit by hand and especially getting the sweep correct and both cutting lips even, otherwise one face is doing all the work...

SUPER easy and mindless with the Drill Doctor...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hey, I’ll take all those bits you are throwing away. Just toss them in a coffee can and bring to the picnic once a year.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I wonder, as I had the cheap one, was that my problem? Never seemed to have sufficient relief clearance. Has anyone used the larger one that does split points?

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
I use a TDR drill grinder I picked up at a flea market about 15 years ago for dirt cheep could not afford a new one. Fastest sharpener I know to get the lips and relief angles in just a few passes. Does split point also. I got in the habit of using it often to keep drills sharp, do not wait for them to dull too much.
Bob

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I wonder, as I had the cheap one, was that my problem? Never seemed to have sufficient relief clearance. Has anyone used the larger one that does split points?
I have one that does split points. It does Ok on 3/16”+ but I can’t say I’m satisfied with it. They just don’t seem to be as sharp as a good new bit, and they don’t stay “sharp” very long.

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
I have one that does split points. It does Ok on 3/16”+ but I can’t say I’m satisfied with it. They just don’t seem to be as sharp as a good new bit, and they don’t stay “sharp” very long.
drill bit quality ain't what it used to be, unless you spend real money.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
drill bit quality ain't what it used to be, unless you spend real money.
True, so let me clarify. All my drill bit sets that I sharpen are 30-40 years old. They were above average at the time I got them. Not top of the line industrial level, but better than Craftsman at that time. Compare a new average bit to a DD sharpened bit (from my old stock) and the new bit will be slightly better.

I would bet if Mike sharpened my old bits, they would be better than average new bits. Make sense?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Hey, I’ll take all those bits you are throwing away. Just toss them in a coffee can and bring to the picnic once a year.
Is this an offer to sharpen my dull bits? Won't you be missing socialization when you are sharpening bits, instead of visiting?

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I learned how to sharpen standard drill bits on a bench grinder more than 50 years ago when I worked in a sheet metal shop with several other trades as well. I also have a Drill Doctor 500X that does a good job when I'm in a hurry, but the doing them by hand seems to yield longer lasting results.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I sharpen my wood boring twist drill bits by hand. I had to practice and learn this decades back when the good makers of wood boring tooling started disappearing or the size I needed wasn't available. Its not a whole lot more difficult than sharpening a wood chisel. Metal working twist drill sharpening is a whole different world.

1          bradpoint - 1.jpg

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Question for hand sharpening experts: For metal twist bits (not Brad point), What is the trick to get them to last longer? (Other than lubricant and keeping them cool). I’m thinking the way the DD works it might leave a burr on the cutting edge?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS