Drill and Driver Poll

What brand drill and driver do you have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dbush714

DB
User
I got “hooked” on the Ryobi line way back when they were blue. As a DIYer, the price point and variety of tools was hard to beat, especially if you watched the sales. Over time, I have migrated to their reconditioned or factory seconds, at reduced cost, so really cost effective, especially since they have maintained the ability to use the same batteries all along, while making improvements. Are they the best, likely not, but price to value, pretty good. And so many choices!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
My most-used drill: Hitachi 18V

I also have DeWalt 3/8” and Marita 1/2” corded drills.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone for participating in the poll.

@tvrgeek thanks for the link, very interesting. As you said various brands design to price point. Having lived through company mergers and acquisitions, anything can happen to quality for better or worse once it happens. I think it’s sad that there are so many big companies that ate up smaller (and not so small) companies. Luckily there are still enough to keep things competitive.

I started this poll after seeing more than usual complaining about DeWalt. I suspected it was because there are more DeWalt tools out there. While that appears to be the case, I don’t think it’s the whole reason. The fact is, this is all pretty subjective. Ultimately, it’s very interesting just to see the mix of what people have. Many of us work somewhat isolated in our own shops and don’t have a lot of opportunity to see other people’s workshops. That’s the great thing about this site, it’s helps us all do better (and buy better stuff) by learning from each other.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I started my battery tools with DeWalt back in the 12v days. At that time, the brands that seemed to be trustworthy were Makita, Milwaukee, and Dewalt. Ryobis at that time didn't seem to last long, (not just batteries, but the tools themselves wore out). The newer ones seem to be good tools, but no need to change battery types.. The Milwaukees were good but didn't fit my wide but short fingered hands. Makita was more expensive, so it was DeWalt. Have stayed with them and haven't had reason to change. The 12v still work, but the batteries are toast and no reason to try and rebuild them. My 18v are still running strong, although I have upgraded to the 20v lithium with my impact driver. I have made it a practice to buy batteries during DeWalt's January sales, so haven't had to break the bank.

I also have corded tools. DeWalt miter saw and ROS. Ridgid TS and shop vac. Fenn multi-tool. Porter cable and Craftsmen circular saws, Hitachi floor standing drill press. Craftsman and unknown brand (one is over 50 years old) drills, as well as a Porter Cable pneumatic framing nailer. I think all my Black & Decker tools have long since worn out.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors