Drill a centered hole...

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I might not have invented the wheel, but hey someone did....

While using my egg beater drill to drill 5/32 holes in the center of 3/16 dowels (making circular knitting needles), any drill bit I tried would wander off the center mark.

I tried both 118 degree twist bits and brad point.

By accident, I took the twist bit and rotated the drill in reverse.

The bit stayed in the center mark/divot and left me with a nearly dead on starting hole.

Once started, I then drilled in the forward direction, bingo!

It reminded me how you pull a saw towards you to start the cut.

Jim

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
That's an old trick, but it might be new to the 'tips' editors at the various mags. Submit it! Look forward to seeing your name in print.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That's an old trick, but it might be new to the 'tips' editors at the various mags. Submit it! Look forward to seeing your name in print.

It may be an old trick, but I have never heard it before, and I will be using it. I only have to drill out for handles on 38 doors and 40 drawer fronts so it is a VERY timely tip!

I'm with Joe, submit it!!

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Just make sure to change the direction back if using power drill. LOML's uncle once drilled 2 holes with a spade bit turning in reverse. He thought it was a dull bit. Took him most of the morning. Talk about determination!:eek:

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
It may be an old trick, but I have never heard it before, and I will be using it. I only have to drill out for handles on 38 doors and 40 drawer fronts so it is a VERY timely tip!

I'm with Joe, submit it!!

Travis, dumb question. Do you have a jig for drilling the handles? (like what tool don't you have?:cool:) But if you don't, I have the one from Sommerfeld and it works. You are welcome to use it if you need it.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Remember too, this'll only work in wood. Doing it in metal will dull your bit. DAMHIKT :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors