Drawer(s) in an Apron? .....Writing Desk Done!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well. Here I go again......

I have been looking at ways to incorporate a drawer into a table apron. While there seems to be several options out there on the internet, I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good book that cover this type of construction. The only experience I have had is when a drawer consumes pretty much all of the front apron area. (I did look long and hard at DaveO's Greene and Greene table but I guess I just don't get it!:BangHead: 1. How to cut that nice even and square slot in the apron like he did. 2. What type of drawer runner is used and how is it attached to the front and rear aprons?)

A comprehensive book on the subject would be a nice addition to the novice library.

(Oh. By the way I am just started thinking about building a small/simple writing desk for yet another one of my daughters)

TIA (once again) for any reading suggestions!

Wayne

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Re: Drawer(s) in an Apron?

If I understand you right, there are a couple of options ...

For the crisp edges, I would rip the apron into three pieces (long), then crosscut the drawer front, then glue it back up (not the drawer, of course). Usually you will never even be able to see where you cut originally after the glue-up.

Another option is a steady hand on the scrollsaw. PeteM might have some tricks for that ... but not me, I"m not steady yet! :crybaby2:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe

What WoodWrangler said and,
Webframe supports bottom of apron face and drawer runners.
Webframe can be exposed as bottom edge trim or flush (behind) with bottom edge of apron/drawer face.
Joe

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn

I am in the process of doing the same thing, Wayne. I was going to utilize option 1 that WoodWrangler mentioned. Mine will be painted, therefore the cuts will be less noticeable.

Another idea would be to rough cut with a jigsaw, then make a template use a router to clean it up and chisels for squaring the corners. Is the face of the drawer flush with the apron?

I have a table detail that incorporates a drawer. If you would like, I can make a copy of it for you.

tv

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Wayne, I did exactly like Jeremy described. Rip the top and bottom off the drawer face of the apron. Cross cut the resulting middle section to give you the drawer front and rest of the apron. Glue it all back together. Big tip, make allowance for the saw kerf. The board that will be the front apron will need to be wider and longer than the rest of the apron stock. Then you can use a hand plane to size the drawer front to fit in the hole if you are planning on inset drawers. For drawer guides I used two pieces of scrap stock glued together in an L shape and mortised into the lower part of the apron. I also included a kicker strip (1" x 1") scrap stock mounted in the top of the apron to prevent the drawer from tipping forward.

HTH,
Dave:)

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn

DaveO, your tip came at a most opportune time. I was heading home from work to screw up an apron.

tv

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

DaveO, your tip came at a most opportune time. I was heading home from work to screw up an apron.

tv

:rolf: yeh but thats an easy fix. just cut the rear apron till its too short!:rolf: then the front again and then the rear and ..... you get it!:slap:
design modifiction!:saw:

Dutchman

New User
Buddy

Dave O quote:
"Big tip, make allowance for the saw kerf. The board that will be the front apron will need to be wider and longer than the rest of the apron stock."

Ahhhh the voice of experience. I usually do a very good job on my projects THE SECOND TIME, after I find all the ways to screw up the first time.

WNC_Dave

New User
David

Norm showed this in one of his desks that he made. He did not do flush drawers though so the center sections where crosscut then shortened some more to make the drawer faces bigger than the opening. I can find the episode if you need me to.

Dave

DaveO

New User
DaveO

tv

Experience is knowing that you screwed that up once before. I'm glad my experience can be put to good use.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

you guys are good - I need to screw up at least 9 times before I know I even got screwed...

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Jeremy, DaveO and Joe. Thanks so very much for the tips!!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Solutions here make it sound so simple it hurts!!!:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

And ya. I got it!

'Watch out for the size of that old KERF gotcha!'

Thanks again.

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Well. After the past week I finally got a chance to try my hand at the writing desk that my youngest daughter wanted with the drawers in the front apron.

Here is some of my progress....

DSC005131.JPG

DSC005151.JPG

I thought, initially that the grain would match ok. But!!!!!! Oh well I tried. I think that either I got the pieces mixed up or the saw kerf messed me up!

DSC005161.JPG

The biggest challenge in building this desk so far was aligning all of the drawer guides and stretchers with the front and rear aprons. (I used biscuits.) Everything turned out to be square after the glueup of the sub-assembly!:icon_thum)

DSC005261.JPG

Now it is on to finishing the top, building the drawers and finishing.

(On a side note. This desk was built completely out of red oak that I received from NZAPP1 (Nick) that was once destined to become oak stair treads, I believe! Oh ya. Before that it was cut by Jeff!!! Thanks guys.) This stuff is pretty nice wood and good and dry now. Down to about 6%!)

I will post another pic when I get it all done...

Thanks for lookin'!

Wayne

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn

Looking fantastic, Wayne! Are the drawer slides going on the bottom?

tv

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Looking fantastic, Wayne! Are the drawer slides going on the bottom?

tv

Thanks Todd,

The drawers will run on wooden slides that are fastened (via biscuits) to the front and read aprons. Kinda "old fashioned" but have found they have worked well on simpler things that I have concocted!:eek:)

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Wayne, outstanding table! That grain looks pretty darn good to me. Great job on the dimensions too, very elegant, especially with the tapered legs. You wouldn't happen to have any plans, would you?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

...... You wouldn't happen to have any plans, would you?

Mornin' Bas,

Actually I started with this plan for a Shaker Console Table that I found at .. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/woodworking/1273446.html?page=1

(Use the wee print button down at the lower left of window to see the plan. For some reason that is the only way I could get to download to my screen!)

I basically shortened the length of the top by about a foot and decided to go with the tapered legs instead of the turned legs in the plan. (I believe that they used cherry.) The only thing that I think that I would differently is resize the drawers a little better (little wider) so that they were more proportional to the front apron. - Oh well. She seems to like it so far, so maybe next time.

Thanks for the comments,

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Thanks for the link Wayne. I agree with you on the drawers, making them a little wider would give the table a more delicate/ elegant/ elongated feel. But, it would also make it more of a desk as opposed to a table, if you know what I mean. Hmmm. Maybe the drawers are right exactly the way they are. Can't wait to see the finish on this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS