Double stick tape - what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
OK, so I finally ran out of double-stick tape that I use for temporary attachment of router templates and such. The product I had before was much the same thickness-wise as duck tape and had just the right amount of grip. Unfortunately, I pitched the inner roll cardboard, so I don't know what the product was. The tape itself was cream colored and the backer was blue plastic.

I have looked at Lowes, HD and craft stores trying to find the same/similar tape, to no avail.

So what do you use and where do you buy it?

Thanks!
C.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I use the Duck brand carpet tape. In our Lowes, it is back by the carpets, not up with the rest of the tapes.

Go

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I too ran out of double-sided tape. As it happens, I added a roll of Duck brand tape to my last Amazon order. I put it to use on a critical project wherein it had to hold several pieces of a 1/4" Masonite template to flat, smooth white oak. I got everything applied, but it was getting late, so I left it overnight. The next day and to my surprise, the template components had crept laterally (ever-so-slightly). The movement was enough to halt the work and look for another more reliable method.
That's when I found the Crimson Guitars masking tape-CA glue and accelerator method (here). I test drove the process on like-kind materials and was pleased and amazed! Thank you NCWW and those who posted the video from the Crimson Guitars luthier.

Ed

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I use the 3M Brand as well, but not for woodworking. I installed LED lights under the rails in the pick up bed of my truck and have held very tight over the cold winter and the very hot summer we had so far. I trust the 3M brand for any type of tape.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Chris, I have a roll of the same tape you used (cream w/ a blue backing). If I don't forget I'll look tomorrow and see what brand it is.

ehpoole

Ethan
I use Scotch/3M poster tape for securing templates and such. It is a repositionable tape that will cleanly release from paper and wood but which still holds securely.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Thanks to all who replied! It's always interesting to discover the variations on techniques we all use.

Turns out what I was using (and Bill too ;)) was/is the Duck brand double-sided duck tape which can be had at Wally World for the princely sum of $5.27.

The CA/masking tape method to which some alluded I had not seen before (must have missed that thread too!) is very slick - I will give that a try and maybe Bob can by my Uncle too!:rotflm:

Thanks everyone!
C.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Late to the dance, but I actually use every tape that everyone mentioned, plus my favorite which is sold by Peachtree Woodworking down in Atlanta (but online to everywhere of course). The reason: They are all different! Sometimes I need perma-stick (fastcap), or gooey and wide (carpet tape) or really easy release (stuff from Lee Valley) or medium release (the Peachtree stuff) or thin and narrow (don't remember, but it's in the cabinet...) so I don't think that there is one right answer...

K

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Turns out what I was using (and Bill too ;)) was/is the Duck brand double-sided duck tape which can be had at Wally World for the princely sum of $5.27.
C.

Chris, I looked at my tape and it turns out I have two rolls of double sided tape. Both are cream colored w/ blue peel-off backing. One, I think, is the duct tape from Wally World. The other is "Shurtape" carpet tape.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Several years ago, we had a Woodcraft store in Greensboro. At one of their sales, I picked up a roll of "spectape" brand. It's been great. But now its gone and I'm reluctant to pop for $25 to replace it from them. It is thick enough to grip slightly uneven surfaces and it has a stiff paper separator layer that is easy to peel back. I really don't like the thin plastic covers that most tapes use. It's a pain to start the peel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS