Door Knob Cane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I took my grandkids to the Raleigh flea market a couple weeks ago and picked up a set of porcelain door knobs because they were "interesting". I decided to make a walking cane from one of them. I also decided that I was going to try to make it by hand. The only machine used was the drill press to bore the hole to hold the knob. I used a maple stick that has been drying in my shop for about a year.

I hand planed the octagonal shape, so it isn't a perfect octagon, but hand made is never perfect I guess. I stopped by the local craft store and picked up a bag very small decorative glass chips and some brass wire. Here's the result:

Hard to see at full size
SANY00011.JPG

The top
SANY00031.JPG

The tip
SANY00102.JPG

This is the door knob. The pattern is called "Bennington Swirl"
SANY00082.JPG

Dragon

New User
David
Looking pretty darned good from here. One of the prettiest canes I ever saw as made using one of the old faceted glass door knobs. If I'd had the opportunity before my mother sold her house, I'd have swapped out all those old glass knobs she had in there.:BangHead:

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Looking pretty darned good from here. One of the prettiest canes I ever saw as made using one of the old faceted glass door knobs. If I'd had the opportunity before my mother sold her house, I'd have swapped out all those old glass knobs she had in there.:BangHead:

The guy I bought it from must have has at least 100 knobs. Some were really interesting, including some faceted ones. He wanted $65 for some of the nicer ones...more than I was willing to part with.

Dragon

New User
David
The guy I bought it from must have has at least 100 knobs. Some were really interesting, including some faceted ones. He wanted $65 for some of the nicer ones...more than I was willing to part with.

Yeah, some of things can get rather pricey. Personally, there are some prices I won't pay for things, regardless of how cute, adorable, or desirous the item. I've refused to buy milk at today's prices for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS