DNA drying green hollow form??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I was wondering if and how to dry a green hollow form with DNA? I know for a bowl you rough turn to about 3/4 inch and wrap bottom half up to the opening with a brown paper bag but what do you do on a hollow form? I also would like to turn it bowl grain, is that possible? I have trued up one of Jeff curly sycamore blanks :eusa_danc and was thinking of turning a different shape other then a bowl.

J

jeff...

Oh so you started working the sycamore - lets see some curl. That tree had some pretty wood. I've still got a bunch of it I'm working into pen blanks. Word of advise - go EXTRA thick on those roughed out walls. This wood tends to shrink up a lot more than any of the others I've worker with so far. I'm loosing at least an 1/8 more like 1/4 in thickness once it's dry. It's not consistent either there will be pockets that shrink more than others.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Nick, soak it in alcohol just like any other green piece of wood. Follow the same proportions as far as thickness as when rough turning a bowl.

JRD

New User
Jim
Nick,

On mine I'll wrap up to the actual opening, leaving the interior surfaces a channel through which to dry faster than the exterior. As I understand it, allowing the interior surfaces a route to dry faster than the exterior, actually pulls the wood in that direction. In essence, it has the wood shrinking inward.

I still leave 3/4 to one inch thickness because you will get some warping.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS