Dining table in the style of Greene and Greene

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I again want to thank everyone for the gracious comments.

Dave, the exhibition is in Asheville at the Grovewood Gallery the weekend of February 20-22. This coincides with the 22nd annual Arts and Crafts Conference at the Grove Park Inn. I was asked to be the featured furniture artist at the Grovewood because of my interest in Greene and Greene. Each of the five pieces is G & G inspired. Here are the three pieces that are not already on my photo page:

This is a four panel folding screen in sapele, Swiss pearwood, walnut, and bloodwood. The G & G influence here is subtle, with raised ebony pegs and offset planes in the rails and stiles. The Japanese maple inlay is both below and proud of the surrounding pearwood surface, what some call a bolection inlay, or I think it could be also considered a type of intarsia.

IMG_4912.jpg

The other two pieces are lamps, one floor and one table, both in the same style. There are multiple small cloud lift rails. The wood is andiroba. I Made the shades of andiroba and mica. The style of these has elements of G & G as well as some Craftsman/Stickley features, especially the shades.

largelamp.jpg

Untitled_00087.jpg

I would be happy to post additional photos of the dining table build. I'm not sure if it would be best to start a new thread on that and put it in the "How To" forum, or whether I should continue in this thread. Perhaps one of the administrators can give some guidance on that.

Matt

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would be happy to post additional photos of the dining table build. I'm not sure if it would be best to start a new thread on that and put it in the "How To" forum, or whether I should continue in this thread. Perhaps one of the administrators can give some guidance on that.

Matt

With work like that I would be happy to see the pics posted anywhere. But it would probably be best to start a new thread in either the General Woodworking or How To forums. Doing that would help to make searching for the thread/information later much easier.
I really look forward to seeing it. Your work is outstanding. I am especially fond of the screen. The inlay work looks seriously cool and really makes the piece.
Dave:)

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Wow you're stuff is awesome, and is exactly what I would love to be able to do some day. I would love that style in my own house.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Matt,

It's members like you with the talent and skill you display that make me so proud to be part of this forum. I wish I could go to the exhibit!

Barbara

Kdub

New User
Kurt
those are extra nice. the accents on the breadboard ends, are they just decorative or do they serve a purpose, they're nice either way just curious. what kind of time do you have invested in those pieces, at the rate i work it would probably take about 5 yrs. but those are awesome.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Kurt,

The plugs and splines on the breadboard ends are both decorative and functional. There are five screws holding the ends onto the main body of the top, and the plugs act to hide those. Of course, I could have used much smaller plugs to do that, so the fact that they are larger than necessary makes them decorative as well. The splines similarly serve a functional role in helping to keep the ends aligned with the body, but the length and contouring adds a distinct decorative element.

I'm working on a description of my design/build process that I hope to post next week that may answer some questions as well.

The table took about 90-100 hours of labor to build.

Thanks for your interest.

Matt

kirkpj01

New User
Kip
That table is absolutely beautiful. I think I like the leg details. I have not see that done before but it does bring to mind the reliefs used in Greene and Greene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS