Dewalt Plunge Router DW616 complaints

BKHam

Bradley
User
1709048972063.png

The spring action in the plunge is so strong that the locking mechanism will sometimes un-engage and come flying back up. I've eaten into several templates this way. Its also just alarming to have this thing lunge out of the plunge back at you while still cutting.

I sold all my old porter cable routers and plunge bases and have regretted it ever since. I have a cordless small dewalt router and it kinda stinks too. its so top heavy I feel uneasy using it.

Also, the dust collection thru the post is non-existent. it does nothing.

I"m waiting for the epoxy to dry on my damaged template to see if I can salvage. I thought I'd not just yell in my garage but yell to an actual audience.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Now you know why I no longer have any "yellow" junk.
Yea, the Makita trim router is a little top heavy but I use a small battery and find it is fine. If I need more stability, I'll just make a bigger base.

Makita, Bosch, Fein, Festool, Milwaukee, Hilti: good stuff. Surprisingly, some of the newer Horrible Freight tools are worth a look. They are playing the "good-better-best game" like Sears used to.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
View attachment 226706

The spring action in the plunge is so strong that the locking mechanism will sometimes un-engage and come flying back up. I've eaten into several templates this way. Its also just alarming to have this thing lunge out of the plunge back at you while still cutting.

I sold all my old porter cable routers and plunge bases and have regretted it ever since. I have a cordless small dewalt router and it kinda stinks too. its so top heavy I feel uneasy using it.

Also, the dust collection thru the post is non-existent. it does nothing.

I"m waiting for the epoxy to dry on my damaged template to see if I can salvage. I thought I'd not just yell in my garage but yell to an actual audience.
I have that same router and have noticed that you have to aggressively tighten the locking mechanism but I have owned other routers Bosch, Porter Cable with exactly the same problem. Sorry about your templates. But trust me you do this enough it will happen.

BKHam

Bradley
User
I have that same router and have noticed that you have to aggressively tighten the locking mechanism but I have owned other routers Bosch, Porter Cable with exactly the same problem. Sorry about your templates. But trust me you do this enough it will happen.

maybe you are right, its a numbers game. but dang, I never had this with my PC.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I certainly would not call DeWalt tools "junk", but some brands perform better than others for specific tools. I have the same DeWalt router that you have but I do not use it as a hand held router...the motor has resided in my router table for many years of often heavy use. I also have Bosch and Festool routers and they have served me well.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Every tool brand has its stars and its duds.

I had a DeWalt jigsaw that was so bad that I gave it to Habitat For Humanity and actually felt guilty about it. I have a DeWalt biscuit joiner that is excellent, but I haven't used it in ages. I also have a corded DeWalt drill that I had for heavy duty jobs when my 14.4v stuff wouldn't cut it. I haven't used that since I got 18v stuff eons ago. I should give that away.

I like my Bosch jigsaw that replaced the DeWalt. I also like my 12v Bosch impact and drill. I have the venerable Bosch 1617EVS router. I hate those round wooden handles. I use the motor in my router table. I also have the Colt palm router which is a quality piece.

I have a Makita track saw and quarter-sheet sander, both excellent. I swear I have some other Makita tool, but darn if I can remember right now.

All my cheap stuff is Ryobi. The 18v circular saw I have is junk, even with a good blade, but the drill and drivers are competent. I'm not a fan of the 18v palm router, but I understand the newest one is nice. Their nailers are pretty nice, not quite as good as air nailers, but way more convenient. I have their cordless 5" sander. It's OK, but it goes through batteries like crazy.

I have a 30-odd year-old Hitachi (now Metabo) TR-12 router. It's very heavy, very powerful, but lacks modern features like soft start. I also have the Hitachi 12" miter saw which isn't a Kapex, but it's a good value.

The rest is Festool, a Domino, router, and three sanders. My only complaint is the price. These are excellent. I wish I could go all Festool.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I guess my DeWalt biscuit joiner was OK, but I never used it so off it went.
One can't go by history. Once upon a time Hitachi and Metabo were top lines. So was Porter Cable. I remember when Black and Decker made professional tools. Growing up, Craftsman was the name of the game. Delta contractor saw was "it". Heck, even Powermatic screwed up their Reeves drive in their drill press to make it useless. ( new one is VCR). Still not a split head so you can't adjust for quill wear. Looking backwards through rose colored glasses opens you up to walking into a telephone pole. :)

Ryobi is the best buy for handy homeowner or infrequent use, but watch for them being outdone by Harbor Freight and Wal-Mart. The bottom end price only competition is fierce. Ryobi has the "system" game down pat. I am sticking with my red-blue-orange as I have only three chargers on my wall. I used to have 6. My yard tools are all Kobalt 40 and 80V. Again, only 2 chargers in the garage and fewer batteries.

I went Makita 18 volt for their jig saw, compact circ. saw and palm router with plans on a track saw when I convince myself I really need it. It is right behind Festool as the best. Everyone makes great driver-drills so no decision there. I wound up with Milwaukee for 12V as I wanted the ratchet and I like the compactness of the drill and driver. The Hacks-All is a wonderful tool; stapler, soldering iron, and a couple of lights all work. Their problem is the terrible battery retainer design. I had given up on Ridgid as their warrantee is a scam, but needed a big impact driver for my other hobby and grabbed their multi-tool on the holiday sale for a pittance. Half a step up from Roybi IMHO. I am waiting on a 4 or 4 1/2 inch angle grinder that is not a bulky heavy kluge.

Of course, in a few years we will have a different battery chemistry and just like our first ni-cad tools, they will all go obsolete and we will have an entire new set of non-standardized tools to buy all over again. Maybe. Tool makers make their money off the batteries, so they will want to stick with short life-span Li-ion to keep profits up. Haven forbid what happens to the market is someone came out with tools that used 18500 or 14500 standard cells directly. I have a flashlight that does.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Hey Bradley, can you pull out the spring and take out (clip off) a turn or two to reduce the spring pressure?

Or maybe the problem is that the clamping mechanism is under-engineered.

-Mark

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
I actually had the same problem on the Porter Cable 670. Never would keep the depth and I could not tighten the knob enough. So I bought a Dewalt plunge router instead. It is much better, however the depth is inconsistent. If I cut 6 or 8 mortise, the depths are different for each one. Close but not exact. I find the Dewalt easier to tighten the depth

BKHam

Bradley
User
I actually had the same problem on the Porter Cable 670. Never would keep the depth and I could not tighten the knob enough. So I bought a Dewalt plunge router instead. It is much better, however the depth is inconsistent. If I cut 6 or 8 mortise, the depths are different for each one. Close but not exact. I find the Dewalt easier to tighten the depth

I liked the PC locking mechanism better than the Dewalt.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Hey Bradley, can you pull out the spring and take out (clip off) a turn or two to reduce the spring pressure?

Or maybe the problem is that the clamping mechanism is under-engineered.

-Mark
i think its a little of both spring and mechanism.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
I have that same router combo-and I agree the dust collection is lacking. With 2 different vacs.
Thinking about selling all and go with a router designed with real dust collection in mind-Festool.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors