Dewalt 735: Fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I want to thank danmart77 (Dan) and W Burton (Bill) for their recent posts regarding their efforts to fix their respective DW735s thickness planers. My 735 is over 5 years old and has served me well, but in the past few months I have been experiencing dust build up in the motor housing. I looked for obvious leaks, but could find anything suspicious. Thanks to Dan's and Bill's posts I ordered a new fan housing, installed it, and now the planer is functioning beautifully! I didn't have an obvious blowout like Dan's, mine leak was very subtle (just a Bill described). Over the years, a lot of high speed wood particles exiting the fan housing simply wears away the plastic along the shroud's seam, where the two halves come together, until a hairline crack develops...a crack in the shroud equals dust inside the planer. Heads up to all DW735 owners, it you are experiencing a similar problem, this would be a good place to look.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am amazed EVERY time I log in and realize that I do not have to figure it out myself - someone else (typically much smarter than me) has already been there done it and the tee shirt they got is now a rag!

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well Donn I'm glad it worked out for you. The shroud housing is tough to inspect without taking it out. I tried to repair the blown out one I showed in an earlier thread and it seems to work ok for now but not really what you want. The little bit of chips/dust that builds up in the chamber will clog the adjustment screws in the corners and the chain will bind. You will feel it get tougher.

I'm going to replace the entire plastic shroud so its "air tight" around the spinning impeller. From what you and Bill said, it should solve the entire problem-- lock stock and barrel.

Question: Where did you find the best price for you new piece?

Maybe that's the last piece to this puzzle.

Dan

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Dan, I got the part of eReplacement Parts. I really didn't search for the cheapest price, I was more concerned with availability and quick delivery. I ordered it on Sunday and had on Thursday. I think the price was $46.00. Since I posted about the fix, I have run a lot of wood through the planner, and I a happy to say that the fix continues to work like a charm!

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Mine has been showing blow-by on the exhaust port where my 4" hose fits. When planning, dust and small shavings blow out around the hose and I cannot see from where they come out. It seems to be getting worse. (My DC is working fine.)

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bob, the conditions you describe are very familiar. My guess is that the fan shroud has worn thin where the two halves come together resulting in a small gap. A whole lot of fine shavings/dust can escape through the gap. Replace the shroud and I am 95% sure the problem will be resolved. What you are experiencing, is exactly what I experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS