DeWalt 14.4 Battery Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
The drill still had lots of life, but one battery refused to take a charge and the other could barely get out of its own way, even after a charge. I had nothing to complain about since the package had served me for 7 years. However, I couldn’t bring myself to spend $140 for 2 new batteries. Much has been written on rebuilds, so I was a ready candidate.

I found a place that offered “cores” which eliminates the need to mail the batteries out for service, so there’s a few dollars and some time saved. The cost was $65 for 2 cores including shipping and I had them in 3 days. The job of opening the pack and replacing the guts looked pretty simple, until I found that my 50 year old soldering iron wasn’t up to the job. A new Weller for $20 was adequate, although one with even more power would have made the job easier.

The job is completed, the batteries charged, and the drill spins like a youngster. So that’s my Christmas gift to myself. If these last 7 years, I may treat myself to a new cordless drill.

Roy

Pictures: The new cores are first and the battery opened up is the final.

Attachments

• PC220010.jpg
    PC220010.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 193
  • PC220013.jpg
    PC220013.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 183

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
cool, I have a DW 9.6V drill that needs both a battery, and a fresh set (?) of brushes. Where did you get the guts??? I mean, core?

gator

George
Corporate Member
Yes, Please, the name and web site or phone number. I have two DeWally batteries I need to have rebuilt (or rebuild myself),

George

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Yes, would appreciate if you could post the web
site for the place.
I've a DeWalt 12V that's not perform the way I
would expect.

Thanks.

Pinwu

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
The company that I bought from is Battery Rebuilders Battery Builders www.batteryrebuilders.com. As I said previously, I had seen favorable reports, most on another woodworkers forum, so I was ready to give them a try. You will find the website to be very well done, where you can select parts, prebuilt cores, or send your battery for the rebuild. If you aren’t sure of the best route, there’s a phone number and I found Jason, the owner, more than willing to answer my questions. (I initially overlooked the phone number, 717-324-8031, as it was on the far right of my screen.)
Roy

Last edited by a moderator:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Roy, I added the link to your post, I have read and recommended BR before, but then someone who posts here was doing the same work for a little less, also, when I last checked BR, (probably a year ago) they didn't do 'cores only', you had to send in your entire battery, and they did the work.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Thanks for the info, I have two Snap-on batteries for a drill that need replaced nad Snappy wants over $100 each for them!!:cry: This ought to save me a buck or two. Thanks!!

R

rickc

The job of opening the pack and replacing the guts looked pretty simple, until I found that my 50 year old soldering iron wasn’t up to the job. A new Weller for $20 was adequate, although one with even more power would have made the job easier.
Roy

I got a set of cores from Battery Rebuilders, and upon opening found them to be glued together exactly opposite of the way they were for my cordless drill. No big problem, but when I tried to solder the leads to the posts, they did not stick. Looking at the originals and even the new core, it appears the strips connecting from one to another have "dimples" in them, and maybe even attached with some sort of adhesive backing. Right now, I cannot finish the job. Any suggestions?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The dimples were created by the spot welder. You should be able to solder to the batteries. First tin the batterywith solder, then solder leads to battery. You may want to put batteries in freezer for a couple of hours before soldering.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
The dimples that you see are (I believe) the result of the weld that they use to assemble the core. I too had a problem soldering because the iron that I started with didn't have the capacity that was needed. When I got a heavier soldering gun, it was easy. I found that Jason (Battery Rebuilders) was more than helpful when I needed advice. Don't hesitated to call him as he will not be happy until you are.
Roy

R

rickc

What sort of output are we talking about for a soldering gun? I had tried tinning the batteries, but the solder did not stick. Just beaded up and rolled off. Do I need a different type of solder than the resin core I am using?

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
The two basic rules of soldering are clean and hot. Iron and steel will solder fine if you have them really clean and hot. The battery leads may have chrome plating which adds another twist. Might sandpaper the surface some to rough-up the plating. I've had marginal results with resin core solder on such things. Liquid acid flux for soldering works much better, may have to get it at an industrial supply the borgs probably won't have it. Another consideration is the solder. Due to new EPA type regulations, new solder is 95/5 alloy (95% antimony and 5% lead) and requires much higher heat than the old 50/50 solder, that's why all the plumbers have gone to mixed gas for their torches. 50/50 may still be available for electronic work and will be much easier to deal with for the batteries or any other electronic soldering. My old pistol grip Weller soldering gun usually does fine and produces plenty enough heat for such things. Hope this helps.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
I bought the Weller D550 from: Weller Soldering Guns Models D550 and 8200 . It's more than I would have liked to spend, but that's the price for a quality tool and it should last a lifetime. The difference is that the more powerful gun puts out hotter heat and faster than the wimpy iron that I had on hand.

A slight sanding with fine (400) sandpaper and tinning with rosin core solder should do the job. (I've always heard it's best to avoid acid core when working with electrical connections.)

Perhaps more than you want to know, but here's a link to soldering that might be helpful: Electronics Tips: Soldering Techniques
Roy

R

rickc

Thanks! If I can avoid the rest of my "honey-do" list today I will give it a try. The battery tops are bright / shiny so I will try roughing the surface first. Probably have to get a new soldering gun instead of the pencils I have. Hmmm there goes the do-it-yourself saving! :-(

But who knows - two more replacement battery cores and I break even! :-D

Thanks again, I will let you know what happens and what :eusa_pray works!

R

rickc

Sometimes patience is a virtue! Maybe I'll try it again some time! I was talking with my Dad, who said too bad you weren't coming up - I have an extra soldering gun I could give you! Well - with very little prompting he mailed it to me. It is definitely used, but worked like a champ! I now have the 1st battery recharging. When it is done, I will do the second! Savings intact! :eusa_danc

BTW - the acid core solder is available at the BORG in Cary. About $7 for a small roll. I had some resin filled I used for the battery rebuild project and it worked just fine!

Thanks for the advice guys! :eusa_clap

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Rick, Congratulations! If you've done the first one, the next should be a piece of cake. I continue to be amazed at how powerful the new cells are and how long they hold the charge. I haven't had a need to recharge them yet, although I haven't used them much since the rebuild.
I suppose you experienced the same as I did with the old cells. One would self discharge in a couple of days without any use (and the other one was dead).
Ain't it great to learn something new?
Roy

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Roy, your persistence paid off and saved a lot of money. A very commendable effort IMHO. I know I have been quick to send something out for rebuild in the past but have found lately that I can do some things myself with a little help and the savings are worth it.

Good job!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

R

rickc

One would self discharge in a couple of days without any use (and the other one was dead).
Ain't it great to learn something new?
Roy

That was exactly what was happening! The first one had me scratching my head a bit, as the cells were put together in a "mirror image". Then reassembly, I had to try and remember where all the wires were put so I could close the cover! Boy they sure don't waste much space! Now I expect the next one to be complete in about an hour. Overall not a bad deal - I saved money on the replacements, was able to continue to use a cordless drill that feels good & has sentimental value - plus got a heavy duty solder gun for nothing! Oh if all projects went like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS