Desk Refinishing Recommendation - ALKAT?

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
I mentioned my basement study re-work in DSWalker’s question to the group on what everyone was doing this wet weekend. Well, the end is in sight (only baseboards left to install) and I will be out of the storage room and back in my study with windows again. YEAH!!

LOML granted permission for a new desk to help celebrate. New double pedestal traditional desks are outrageous these days which left building one or buying used. On a whim, I went to DAK’s Office Furniture in Carthage this afternoon (great folks there BTW) and ended up with just what I was looking for, and at less the $400, a pretty good deal. The drawer fronts have lots of grain character and the finish overall is nice. For a used piece it is in really good shape.

The top could use some TLC though. Not terrible, but I want to refinish it before putting it in the new space. Sure, I could tackle this myself, but I’m not set up for that right now. For the time being, the basement is more of a construction zone than a place for fine finish work. I’m not aware of a refinishing house anywhere near Sanford, but the Google says Alkat Restoration in Benson is a good company. Anyone have experience with them or know of somewhere else in the Sanford-ish area that does good work?

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I don't much about Alkat in Benson. I did reach out to them once on a similar type project. They said they were pretty busy, but if I could run it over right now, they could do it that same day. They had a huge commercial project starting the next day that was going to keep them busy for awhile. Ultimately, I just did the work myself.

If you do call them and come down to Benson, let me know, I'm only about 10-12 minutes from them right up Hwy 301.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors