Delta lathe LA 200 bed extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragtimeman

New User
John
Hello All;

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a bed extension for my Delta Model LA 200 midi - lathe?

Thanks in advance;

John

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Wow, that is pricey.
Is there a compatible casting?
My lathe is similar sized and I balked at paying for the more expensive part and got one for another one made from the same casting:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...hat-i-did-my-lathe-25319/?highlight=excelsior

NOTE: I don't think that will fit yours; just pointing out that there might be a clone.

A second note: I hate to disappoint the State fans, but I spent a coupla dollars on brush on Rustoleum and the whole thing is black now...

Anyway, I thought $80 was high for a part I could get for $42; $149 seems really high for what is essentially the same thing.

Ragtimeman

New User
John
Yes, I had looked at that Delta extension from Woodcraft (and others), and it didn't look like it would work.

But, Andy, thank you for the tip on the PSI one! This is a great group!

I just ordered the PSI Turncrafter Pro extension, their item #TCLPOXB, and it was $44.95 plus shipping.

The order clerk said she was 95% sure it would fit, but the service tech said "no guarantees" that it would.

If it doesn't, I can send it back, no questions asked.

So, it is worth a try, and all the more so if it saves me buying a whole new lathe!

Thanks again, Andy,

John

CarvedTones

Andy
I have never been sure about that casting. Delta claims a little less swing (yeah, I know; other parts determine that but it worried me that there is a difference) and the stock photo is that 3/4 profile from the headstock end, front side; I can't see if there is anything special about the end of the main bed. That's why I made my big bold letter disclaimer above. I don't know if it will fit or not, but nearly all the minis and midis come in more than one color. Speaking of wich - you do realize it's gonna be a lot harder to cover that red with powder puff blue than it was with black, doncha? :)

Ragtimeman

New User
John
Andy;

I'll let you know for sure about the fit, but I'll bet it works.

Color wise, it won't matter since my lathe is usually not used, and covered up with junk anyway, and not even visible!

I need to use it more.

Now, I need to drill some holes in the ends of a 19-1/4" long leg from an 1830 piano, so that I can glue in some 1-1/2" diameter dowels and thread them.

Just couldn't do that job without the extension, by about 9"

Thanks again for the tip.

John

Ragtimeman

New User
John
I thought I would update all of you on my Delta LA200 midi lathe extension quest.

Per Andy's (CarvedTones) suggestion, I had ordered the PSI Turncrafter Pro extension, their item #TCLPOXB, and it was $44.95 plus shipping.

It didn't quite fit, but it was close.

Delta base - tapped holes, 10mm dia, 70mm center to center, 35mm down from bed.

PSI extension - clearance holes, 12 mm dia., 80 mm center to center, 36 mm down from bed.

So, I brought it to the shop where I work, and opened up the holes a little toward the bed, and made them into slots closer together.

Also, the Delta bed had a 2.5mm x 45 degree chamfer on the inside edges of the slot so that the tailstock would slide easier, and the PSI didn't, so I had a chamfer added there, too. It should make the tailstock easier to move.

Now I need to take it home and see how it all fits with the modification, and go from there.

Thanks again, Andy!

John

CarvedTones

Andy
My suggestion ??? You mean the part where I said:
NOTE: I don't think that will fit yours; just pointing out that there might be a clone.

??? :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

I am glad it worked out for you, but we should make it clear for any other Delta owners that stumble on this thread that the part is not a generic bolt on replacement for yours like it is for mine. It's a good thing you have access to the right metal working tools to get it modified at no cost.

Ragtimeman

New User
John
Andy;

Actually, I meant your ORIGINAL suggestion from your link:

-------------------------------------------

Wow, that is pricey.
Is there a compatible casting?
My lathe is similar sized and I balked at paying for the more expensive part and got one for another one made from the same casting:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f...ight=excelsior

A second note: I hate to disappoint the State fans, but I spent a coupla dollars on brush on Rustoleum and the whole thing is black now...

Anyway, I thought $80 was high for a part I could get for $42; $149 seems really high for what is essentially the same thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have the Rockler Excelsior, which is the same casting as the PSI Turncrafter lathes. Rockler sells the extension for $70 (to be fair, it is often on sale for $60) plus shipping and it ain't light. It is about $80 or more to the door from Rockler. The PSI can be ordered through Amazon for $42 and shipping is free. Fits perfectly, just one little minor cosmetic issue - it's a completely different color:

wol_error.gif
Click this bar to view the full image.
lathe_ext.JPG

I thought about painting it, but I will wait (if I ever do it at all) until I have turned a few things. If there is a hidden crack in the casting, they would probably want it to be red when they got it back. :smile: I doubt seriously there will be any problem.

You long time turners will get a chuckle out of why I got this. One item i planned to make is a one piece medieval alto recorder that is about 17.5" long. I got a lathe that is 18" between centers, so no problem, right? :wrolleyes:

EDIT - I probably ought to shoot another pic, but I am lazy. If you look close, the alignment is off in this picture because I have not tightened it yet. After shooting this picture, I moved the tailstock to right over the seam, tightened it and then tightened the bolts. I moved it off and the seam is perfect. It slides right across

-------------------------------------------------------

THAT was where I got the PSI part number!

John

CarvedTones

Andy
No sweat; I am happy to accept the credit for your success, but I just wanted to make sure any other Delta owners realize there is a mod involved to use that part. Mine really is the twin of the PSI; yours is a wealthy cousin. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS