Deep sea reel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Got back out in he shop these past couple days since it's tooo darn cold for these bones to work outside for now. Decided to make a new lamp for the beach. Got out an old deep sea reel laying around for a while and decided it would make a good project. WHY!? Heck I don't know. Never did stick to the rules. Opened up the Gear Generator program I used on the Frankenswitch and went from there. It does work as far as turning the handle and having it turn the spool but that's it. I might make some oversized lures and put them with it as a lamp base or make a bookend set with the reel on one side and the lures on the other. Not sure yet.
P1010005.jpg Made from scrap walnut, maple, BB and mahogany. P1010004.jpg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Nice work Mike - creative and well done. Keep us up to date on how you use/decorate with this.
Henry

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Too cool expecially if it actually works... but cool never the less.

pOp What happens if you're scared half to death - twice? Well i guess that would depend on if your a cat. Then i would say you got 16 scared half to deaths left. Else its grim reaper time.

images (2).jpg

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Been working on the reel/lures for a couple days now on/off. Made the lures and put a finish on the reel and lures today. Butcher Block Conditioner for the reel for it's lubricating properties and how nicely it darkens the wood. Three (3) coats for gloss Urethane for the lures before adding the eyes and attaching the hooks. I made the hooks from large paper clips and am sure paying for all the bending and soldering today with a couple pretty sore hands, I found pre-made #4 treble hooks from Bass Pro too. 9 hooks for $9.99. But I like the handmade look anyway.
lure drawing and pattern on wood - smaller.jpggroup shot reel and lures 11-8-16 small.jpglures with hooks 2 - smaller.jpg
Now I just have to figure out if I'm going to use them to make a table lamp or book ends. But that's another day.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
OK... here it is. It's a lamp.
almost finished 2.jpg
Now all that's left is applying the decals I93b5ac93542ee53a5e13c4835fb307f3.jpg made for the line spool top and the rod handle.
fenwick logo decal large.jpg

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Too cool expecially if it actually works... but cool never the less.

pOp What happens if you're scared half to death - twice? Well i guess that would depend on if your a cat. Then i would say you got 16 scared half to deaths left. Else its grim reaper time.

View attachment 21183

Fortunately being scared half to death - even multiple times - is perfectly safe.

1 Life * 1/2 Death = 1/2 Life.
1/2 Life * 1/2 Death = 1/4 Life.
1/4 Life * 1/2 Death = 1/8 Life.
1/8 Life * 1/2 Death = 1/16 Life.

No worries.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
OK...Now it's finally done! Put the decals on this morning but it still seemed a little 'naked'. Sooo.. I wound some of the old line from the original reel to the lamp reel. Wound some on the empty spool too. Then found a picture of a 1929 fishing license and made a copy of it and added it to the lamp. The only disappointment was the Fenwick decal on the rod handle. It doesn't show up as well as I'd have liked. But... that's OK. Another 'one of' from me.full frontal after decals and string.jpgleft side finished.jpgright side finished.jpgfenwick decal on rod.jpg

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Great work Mike. Is that a drafting machine I saw. From one old draftsman to another when we get it worked out on paper we have it built.

Pop
:eusa_danc

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I hate you.......:gar-Bi
Seriously, to me, that is a work of art. I think it would look so much better in my study though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors