Cyclone Dust Collection design

Fingerpicker

New User
Kim
Hi all, I have noticed several posts about dust collection asking about system design, cfm requirements, duct size, etc. If any of you want to know more about this topic, I very highly recommend that you spend some time reading Bill Pentz's research on the topic at his website www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone.

Several years ago I found his site and ended up buying a ClearVue Cyclone system which is based on his design criteria. In the years since, I have not regretted this choice. I hope some of you will find this tip of use.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
"your goal is to protect yourself and those close to you from fine dust". I have a problem with this re: practicality and expense in the real world.

I think for that average ww'er this is only a goal. No matter how good our DC is, we still will have airborne particles, so a dust mask is still required equipment, especially in a climate controlled shop. They type of system required to achieve this is out of the reach or capability of a lot of ww'ers. But what do I know? My goal in DC is less sweeping and less dust on top of my machines.

Air quality IMO is a separate issue from DC.

I know of one cabinet shop a friend worked at there is no DC at all, open garage doors, huge exhaust fans and fans blowing every where, and everyone wears a mask when cutting particle board.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I found a 2 new types of devices for air born fine dust. One was the Howard. It was a bit above my pay grade. I now see that a few companys have started to use this idea as an upfit for existing equipment. Two was the Stratus. They
have very good ideas on their design. It's on my get list.
View attachment 203630

Pop

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I found a 2 new types of devices for air born fine dust. One was the Howard. It was a bit above my pay grade. I now see that a few companys have started to use this idea as an upfit for existing equipment. Two was the Stratus. They
have very good ideas on their design. It's on my get list.
View attachment 203630

Pop
Pop - I can't see your attachment. Issue may be me!
Is it supposed to be a link?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yes, a good place to start on the subject. There are so many really bad Y-tube videos on the subject. I wish machine tool designers paid as much attention. Guides from tool designers in required CFM are always wrong and I have yet to see any machine with decent design for pickup. I am working on some concepts for both my TS and BS. Jointer and planer are fine. Spindle and disk sander are OK, but really would do better with higher SP and lower CFM.

I went the usual, shop vac, Jet 1 3/4, CV1800 progression. For hand held tools and cleanup, I use my Fein vac with the mini CV cyclone. No floor sweep. I still l know how to use a dustpan.

Airborne fine dust, need to move a lot of air. Old furnace blower, box and some 4 inch MERV 15 filters works great. I sttil wear a mask for MDF and have an exhaust fan if I see a cloud.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS