Cutting Veneer

Status
Not open for further replies.

crokett

New User
David
I had an idea for a Christmas present for my wife last year. I took headshots of the kids and the plan was to make marquetry versions of the shadow portraits we did with construction paper in kindergarten. I have oak for the background and walnut for the 'shadow'. It didn't get done so I want to try it for her birthday.

The problem is cutting the veneer. It is a little thicker than 1/16". I've tried an xacto knife, a craft knife and a rolling cutter but can't seem to get clean cuts. I thought of sandwiching the veener between scraps and cutting on a bandsaw, but I might not be able to match the shadow with the background if I do. Plus it would take a lot of scrap. I'd also like a process that is more repeatable, and preferably quiet so I can do this at night.

Would soaking the veneer in water help? Is it possible to temporarily glue it to something and plane it to get it thinner and easier to cut?

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Re: Cuttuing Veneer

Hi Crokett

Sounds like a job for a scroll saw.
When I work with veneers and inlays I stack the pieces between 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood and hot glue the edges of the plywood to sandwich the veneers in place. Glue your pattern to the top piece of plywood and using a # 2 fine tooth blade cut your shapes out.
If you don't have a scroll saw the same can be done with a band saw using an 1/8 ' scrolling blade or you could even use a fret saw.

Mike

nelsone

New User
Ed
Re: Cuttuing Veneer

There are several methods for doing marquetry. It is one of the projects I want to work on.

If you use the exacto knife, make a scoring cut so your blade has a path to follow. Then just keep repeating the cut until you are through the veneer. This is often the process followed with the window method of marquetry.

You can also use a fret saw. Make a birds mouth board to support the veneer and hand cut the pieces. This is usually done with a stack of veneer, but will leave the blade kerf between your pieces.

The fret saw is the same as using a scroll saw, but with the scroll saw you can tilt your bed and avoid the blade kerf.

There is a good book available called the Marquetry Course that may help you understand the different methods.

41TbxgmD5AL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

crokett

New User
David
Thanks fellas. I will try the ply sandwich. I am also thinking of 2 layers of veneer when I do the glueup. The bottom layer will be walnut. Top layer will be my shadow cutout and the background. That way if it is not a perfect cut the background will match the profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors