Cutterhead Choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
New Question , Old Subject?
What is the difference between a Shelix Cutterhead and a Spiral Cutterhead on a Jointer application.Do they perform the same? Is it safe to assume that a Shelix head is only coming from Byrd one way or another.It is an option from Grizzly although you can get the spiral head mounted but the Shelix head is ordered and shipped seperate to be installed by the owner.Steve,enlighten me before I make an expensive mistake.Are they the best two choices besides straight knifes?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Greg,

as I understand it, the Grizzly spiral heads have straight-edged cutters and approach the piece square to it, where the Byrd heads have a slight arc in the cutter which is presented on an angle to the piece being fed... does that make any sense?

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Pete,
I have seen two different versions of the spiral cutter.One has a spiral shaped long blade and the other one looks like a Shelix but the drum that the cutters are connected to is almost flush with the top of the cutters.I didn't notice :dontknow:the difference in the individual cutters but I will look at that.

M

McRabbet

Here are pictures of the two types of cutterheads. The first is the standard carbide cutterhead that Grizzly offers for their jointers -- this 8" version is $ 295 on sale. Note that the cutters are in line with the axis of the cutterhead, but they are oriented in a spiral pattern around the head. They cut one at a time, but square to the work surface. Replacement cutters are about $24.95/10.

Here is the shelix cutterhead, made by Byrd and marketed by Grizzly, too (among others, including Byrd). Note that the cutters are not aligned parallel to the axis, but are at an angle as well as in a spiral pattern. They hit the work surface at an angle and have a shearing action. This 8" version is $ 349.95 on sale and replacement cutters are $29.95/10.

The Byrd head reportedly cuts even smoother than the spiral cutter and is probably worth the extra money.

I have a Byrd cutterhead on a Powermatic 209HH. It gives an amazing finish, it's quiet and there is almost no vibration. I would pay the extra for the Byrd. I am reworking an old 16" jointer with a 2 knife cutterhead. I plan to buy a Byrd cutterhead for it if everything else is in good enough shape to warrant the expense.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I had the byrd on my 6" Delta that I just sold, and just put one on the Shop Fox 8" (same as the grizzly 490) that I just bought. It's hard to believe the difference in noice, vibration, and smoothness of cut. Then I added a link belt, WOW!:eusa_danc:eusa_dancWell worth the extra money.

If it were me I'd go to Girozzly with the byrd. BUT be aware, that it was a real pain to remove the pully and bearings from the stock head.:BangHead:

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I had the Byrd on my 6" Delta that I just sold, and just put one on the Shop Fox 8" (same as the grizzly 490) that I just bought. It's hard to believe the difference in noise, vibration, and smoothness of cut. Then I added a link belt, WOW!:eusa_danc:eusa_dancWell worth the extra money.

If it were me I'd go to Grizzly with the Byrd. BUT be aware, that it was a real pain to remove the pulley and bearings from the stock head.:BangHead:

I concur. Go with the Byrd.

IMG_15.gif

I have one on my 8" jointer and there was one on my 15" planer that I sold. I would put one on my 20" but the price for a Shelix for the large head on my old Delta is too much (over $2K!!!!). Check out the price for one at Holbren (Contact Brian and mention the Woodnet 10% discount)

It is easy to remove the bearings if you use a bearing puller, which you don't have to buy- you can borrow them for free from AutoZone, Pecision Auto, etc. Don't attempt it without a bearing puller, unless you plan to replace the bearings, which is advisable if you have and old machine.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I concur. Go with the Byrd.

IMG_15.gif

I have one on my 8" jointer and there was one on my 15" planer that I sold. I would put one on my 20" but the price for a Shelix for the large head on my old Delta is too much (over $2K!!!!). Check out the price for one at Holbren (Contact Brian and mention the Woodnet 10% discount)

It is easy to remove the bearings if you use a bearing puller, which you don't have to buy- you can borrow them for free from AutoZone, Pecision Auto, etc. Don't attempt it without a bearing puller, unless you plan to replace the bearings, which is advisable if you have and old machine.

I have Allens Planer now and have a Delta 8 inch Joiner and it has the Byrd head also you can carry on a conversation while they are in use.

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
I have Steve Cole's jointer now, and it's so quiet it's unnerving. With ear protection on and the DC going, it's hard to tell if the jointer is running. One advantage of the Shelix is that the blades run at a slight diagonal to the work item, so it makes more of a slice than a straight chop. Helpful for figured wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS