Cut & Paste pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I think I've asked this before, but, is there no way to go to a simple "copy and paste" format for inserting pics? :eusa_thin:dontknow:

Last edited by a moderator:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
That's not so easy with websites ... I've never heard of a way to do that. Do you have an example? I'd love to see it! The web just isn't like a word processing package.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Let me "re-state" my question.

What PREVENTS us from being able to simply "copy" a picture, quote, etc. and then "paste" it into a Thread or Post? :icon_scra

I'm the first to admit that I'm not "website savy" but just wondering if there's an easier way. We seem to see this subject come up pretty often. :dontknow:

M

McRabbet

Reggie and others,

I've been using "Cut & Paste" for a long time to copy pictures from websites to a post here. I use IE7 and open a source website in a new tab -- same can be done with a second Window. For grins, I'll pick the Hobbit House Glossary of Woodworking Terms -- and I search for the picture I want with that tab active (I went to the letter "S" and chose "Scorp"). Right click on the picture and choose "Copy" from the drop-down menu. Return to your thread and click on the point where you want to insert the picture --> and either press CTRL-V or right-click and select Paste:
scorp.jpg

and "Voila!

Last edited by a moderator:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
That's exactly the process I was referring to.:icon_thum

Now, can that be done with pics we make and have stored on our 'puters? :eusa_thin

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Rob, not to split hares, and correct me if I'm wronger, but I think what you are doing here is copying the link to a picture from another site, not the actual picture itself.

Unlike in a word processor, where copy can move a "physical" copy of a pic via a clipboard thingy.

At least thats how I read it.

Jim

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Yeah, if you want to put a picture that is already on the web into a post ... do what Rob said and it will work. But if you have a picture on your 'puter that's going to be a bit more (technically) challenging. See, the picture needs to exist on the server and then be referenced (pointed to) in the post. Though you see the picture "in the post" it's really just a pointer to the picture on the server somewhere else. So long (confusing) story short is that there is no pretty way to do it. The best method would be to have the old mechanism back where you could upload and link the photo in one swift move when you were in the post (but I think they had issues with that)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Interesting explanations. I "cut and paste" or "copy" things all them time from folders on my 'puter to documents, e mails etc. :eusa_thin Logo's, pics of equipment, etc. :icon_scra

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Actually, there is a new feature that might make inserting pictures easier. But it is waiting for the staff to set it up and do a write up

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Interesting explanations. I "cut and paste" or "copy" things all them time from folders on my 'puter to documents, e mails etc. :eusa_thin Logo's, pics of equipment, etc. :icon_scra

But are any of those a web page? Documents and emails are likely local applications, so they can deal with it (they have local access to the image and will copy it or whatever they need to do).

Trust me ... my software product is now web based and this is a HIGH wish list item. We have to just have the users upload the file (usually a photo or something) and then let them insert it (like North Carolina Woodworker used to do). It's a challenge for sure. This can all pretty smoothly be done and feels like an "insert" but really it's an "upload and insert" in one move (still not copy/paste ease though ... but boy do I wish!)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Don't throw the white flag yet.

In the immoral words of Tim Allen playing Jason Nesmith playing Captain Peter Quincy Taggart in Galaxy Quest....

Never give up.... never surrender!

Jim

I surrender! (for now!)
:rotflm:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Froglips, I have tried to post pictures here and I also surrender. I hope the latest updates helps me with this problem.:BangHead:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Froglips, I have tried to post pictures here and I also surrender. I hope the latest updates helps me with this problem.:BangHead:

Berta, you really need to provide us with a detailed description of and where your problem is. Please do so in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors