cut out guitar body on a bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
hi... i have an electric guitar body all glued up and ready to be cut out, but i don't have a band saw, anyone on here help me out with or know of a place in raleigh that could do that would be very much appreciated? the body is a little over 2" thick (1 3/4" mahogany 5/16" hard maple, which FredP so generously helped make possible) the shape is already drawn on (there are a few pretty sharp curves in it), and i actually have a template double sided taped on, for which i tried to cut the shape out with a flush cutting router bit, but after about an hour of tear outs and a sore left arm, i think it'd be a whole lot easier to see if someone can cut it with a band saw.... thanks so much for any help... jonny

DaveO

New User
DaveO
More than likely you will still need to flush trim it with a router to your pattern after rough cutting with a BS. I have never seen a BS leave a finished cut without need for a little more fine tuning. You probably could make the cut with a jig saw, if a BS is out of your budget right now. The key to flush trimming curves is to watch which way the grain is going. If the grain is pointing into the spinning bit then it will tear out. When you've reached that point where the grain reverses you'll want to either climb cut or switch to a router bit with the bearing on the opposite side.
Depending on when you want to get this done I could help you. I will be pretty busy until after Thanksgiving, but if you can wait until then, it would be my pleasure.

Dave:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
as dave o said you will probly want to rout or sand to the template. you are wellcome to come use the bandsaw this weekend if ya want. i am going to change the blade for scroll cutting soon anyway but you get to do the cuttin!;-) just dont get any blood on the band saw.:-D let me know.

fred

Toddler

New User
Todd
I've got a bandsaw with a 1/4" blade on it, and a little sanding cyclinder with a pattern follower disc from stew mac. It fits in my drill press and will get you close, but if the diameter of any curve is under 1", I wind up using files or a coping saw.

I'm in Hillsborough and you're welcome to stop by if you don't find anyone closer.

Regards,

Todd

Nativespec

New User
David
John:

You are welcome to use mine. I live near Crabtree. Routers can remove much wanted material sometimes-I tend to use hand tools and sanding.

David

919-420-0267

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
thanks for all the replys and the help... i got the guitar cut out, i actually bought a cheap jigsaw and that worked pretty well, thanks for the advice daveO... i don't know why i didn't think of that before... and i ended up getting it to final shape with the router but i didn't have a straight bit long enough so i ended up routing it with the bit i do have with way too little of the shank in the collet, but it worked... just scared me a few times... but again... thanks to everyone for the offers... thanks so much

M

McRabbet

Jonny,

You need to avoid trying to stretch the reach of a bit by inserting it only a little ways into the collet of your router -- it is very dangerous!! Two possible consequences are misalignment so the bit cuts out-of-straight with a slight wobble, or worse, the bit is ejected from the collet at high speed and becomes a lethal missle. That could damage you, your work and the router. Always work safe and know the limits of your tool. It is wiser to spend a few dollars at a place like MLCS as DaveO has suggested and obtain a proper length bit.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Jonny,

You need to avoid trying to stretch the reach of a bit by inserting it only a little ways into the collet of your router -- it is very dangerous!! Two possible consequences are misalignment so the bit cuts out-of-straight with a slight wobble, or worse, the bit is ejected from the collet at high speed and becomes a lethal missle. That could damage you, your work and the router. Always work safe and know the limits of your tool. It is wiser to spend a few dollars at a place like MLCS as DaveO has suggested and obtain a proper length bit.

pay heed to these words of wisdom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a sharp bit spinning at 20000 rpm's flyin round the shop could get more than a little dicey!!!!!!!!!!:slap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS