Current Burial Urns Inventory

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hello, everyone. Let me give you an update on the current Veterans burial urn and medallion inventory.
Old large urns - 10 on hand with 1 having a Navy medallion already inserted
New burial urns 46 on hand - Salisbury Cemetery 5 urns on hand - Western Carolina 12 urns on hand - Coastal Carolina zero on hand needs 4 - Sandhills Cemetery zero on hand needs 4 - Eastern Carolina 6 large, 4 small on hand
Medallions on hand (to distribute) NCWW medallion 73; US Air Force 15; US Army 35; US Coast Guard 8; USMC 10; US Navy 12.

I recently was contacted by the NC Veterans Cemeteries Program Manager, David Brown. He stated he was going to direct each cemetery supervisor to get in touch with me and for them to make arrangements to take delivery of urns and medallions. This direction got me in touch with Coastal Carolina State Veterans Cemetery manager who told me that in 2022 their location set a new record of 100 internments - 50 USMC, 24 Army, 14 Navy, 10 USAF and 2 USCG.

If this demand is to continue into 2023 - we do not have enough urns nor medallions on hand to meet that locations demand let alone the others.

ScottM is working to find the digitized medallions so that we can find another supplier to make us a new supply.

Until I hear back from the other 2 cemeteries (Sandhills and Eastern Carolina), I won't know their need for this upcoming year.

Last edited:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have a question, is this for any and all veterans, or just poor Or homeless vets?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a question, is this for any and all veterans, or just poor Or homeless vets?
These are for any Veteran that needs one; priority is given to the NC Veteran Cemeteries, than National Cemeteries in NC, than to any Veteran that needs one (this includes the family of a Veteran who has passed away).

Dnorris1369

Dustin
User
Is it possible to get more information on this? Is this a service you provide? Is this volunteer based.? Is there any help needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is it possible to get more information on this? Is this a service you provide? Is this volunteer based.? Is there any help needed.

Dustin, this program started back in 2015 with sawman101 initiating this program. Since then, NCWW has gone through two different styles of urns with the current style limited to a 9" x 9" x 9" urn. We mount a medallion on the bottom lid that shows the urn is not for sale. We have had two different member make the medallions and a couple of workshops have brought many members together to build the urns that are stored by Klingspors Woodworking shop in HIckory, NC. The urns are then distributed to the Veterans cemeteries by Pony Express along with the necessary medallions so the the Veterans can be interred in a wooden box that shows respect instead to cardboard cartons that are normally provided by the crematoriums. When the need for more urns are required, a call goes out for volunteers to meet at a members shop and teams are put to work, marking, cutting, drilling, fitting and assembling the urns that are then readied for storage until needed.

Jerry C

New User
Jerry
Raymond, my wife has several wooden urns similar to the one in the photo...all are different, made of rosewood but looks like pine to me....well made from India. She also has some like the photo of the porcelain coated metal one...none are alike. Not sure how many we have but we could dig them out of storage if you think they are suitable.....No we are not prepping for a mass funeral There is a good reason we have them on hand.

Attachments

• 20230213_195954 (1).jpg
    20230213_195954 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • 20230213_200202.jpg
    20230213_200202.jpg
    957.5 KB · Views: 64

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Thanks for the update Raymond. If/when the program gets to the point of needing more urns made, just put out a call. I'm happy to construct stuff if I don't need to manage the program :)

-Mark

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
When the need for more urns are required, a call goes out for volunteers to meet at a members shop and teams are put to work, marking, cutting, drilling, fitting and assembling the urns that are then readied for storage until needed.
Where are the materials sourced for the urns?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Where are the materials sourced for the urns?
Phillip, the lumber was sourced from different suppliers when they were made. I was not involved with that operation. The medallions were also made from thin ply wood and provided either to the maker (think vetteman9956) or by the last maker (Berta's son). The last maker was paid by NCWW but we got a reduced price for everything.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Phillip, the lumber was sourced from different suppliers when they were made. I was not involved with that operation. The medallions were also made from thin ply wood and provided either to the maker (think vetteman9956) or by the last maker (Berta's son). The last maker was paid by NCWW but we got a reduced price for everything.
I have two lasers and willing to try to create some of the medallions, and also could make the urns packs if I had some lumber to work with and a sample or plans for them. My free time to do them restricts being able to meet and work as a group, but willing to work as time allows in my shop.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
More than willing to assist in any way for the next build - my shop or any other.
Let's git er done.

Dnorris1369

Dustin
User
I’m willing to help if need be. I have a small shop but pretty well equipped with cnc and laser. More than willing to assist in any way.

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
Hello, everyone. Let me give you an update on the current Veterans burial urn and medallion inventory.
Old large urns - 10 on hand with 1 having a Navy medallion already inserted
New burial urns 46 on hand - Salisbury Cemetery 5 urns on hand - Western Carolina 12 urns on hand - Coastal Carolina zero on hand needs 4 - Sandhills Cemetery zero on hand needs 4 - Eastern Carolina 6 large, 4 small on hand
Medallions on hand (to distribute) NCWW medallion 73; US Air Force 15; US Army 35; US Coast Guard 8; USMC 10; US Navy 12.

I recently was contacted by the NC Veterans Cemeteries Program Manager, David Brown. He stated he was going to direct each cemetery supervisor to get in touch with me and for them to make arrangements to take delivery of urns and medallions. This direction got me in touch with Coastal Carolina State Veterans Cemetery manager who told me that in 2022 their location set a new record of 100 internments - 50 USMC, 24 Army, 14 Navy, 10 USAF and 2 USCG.

If this demand is to continue into 2023 - we do not have enough urns nor medallions on hand to meet that locations demand let alone the others.

ScottM is working to find the digitized medallions so that we can find another supplier to make us a new supply.

Until I hear back from the other 2 cemeteries (Sandhills and Eastern Carolina), I won't know their need for this upcoming year.
Thank you for the update.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you, Coleman. Currently our inventory contain some finished and some are not finished. I did not participate in last build work shop at Phil Soper's shop so I am not too sure what was done in regards to finishing. When I take possession of the urns for distribution, if they are not finished - I apply a single coat of water-based satin urethane.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS