Curious about table saw fence add on

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I don't know the correct term for the short piece of wood that can be attached to the fence to help prevent kick back when ripping but I wonder how many here use one?

I used to use one but quit and I don't remember why because it makes sense to me.

What is the determining factor on the decision?

Barbara

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Barbara,

One name for that piece of wood is 'stop block'. You are correct in that it helps prevent kick-back. Using the block, you can get a series of pieces to be all the same length by butting them up against the rip fence but it can be dangerous to have the end of the piece rubbing against that fence during the cut. With the stop block, the end of the piece being cross-cut is free of the rip fence by the time that it hits the blade. I think setting up the saw with a stop block for repetitive cuts like that is called 'tooling up'.

Not sure if I'm answering the question... what is the decision you noted in your post?

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I think Barbara is referring to a secondary fence (IIRC, this is the right term). This is a short length of wood clamped to the fence that ends just a fraction beyond the back side of the blade. This is sort of like a European fence that prevents kickback because once the wood clears the blade it also clears the fence.

Or am I not understanding what you are referring to Barbara?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I'll attach a short aux or euro fence to my Biese if I'm concerned about the grain I'm looking at. It allows reactive wood to spread out if it has the tendency to do so. And some times when my left knee is jabbing at the STOP paddle, I wish I'd had put it on!

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Barbara,

If you are ripping, perhaps you are thinking of a featherboard? That will keep the board from kicking back...

Mike

b4man

New User
Barbara
Not sure if I'm answering the question... what is the decision you noted in your post?

Ray, sorry I didn't make that very clear! I was referring to the decision of when to use an auxiliary fence ( thank you Jerry! You defined it)

It is the euro/aux fence used to help keep the kerf open when ripping a board.

I wasn't even thinking of the stop block mentioned so thanks for differentiating between the two.

What I am trying to find out is how many of us use this type of fence add on versus just pushing stock thru against the fence? Also, is there a specific situation where you'd use an aux fence when otherwise left off?

Thanks for all the responses.

Barbara

gator

George
Corporate Member
i agree that it is the 'euro' style fence that Barb is speaking of. But, I think that the 'euro' fence stops just after (¼" or so) the leading edge of the blade. The theory being that once the cut is made there is no longer any use for the fence for guidance. There is still a need for a splitter though. With reaction wood, it can either spread, OK with no fence, or it can pinch, thus the need for a splitter.

Hating to steal a thread, but doing it anyhow, I have a question about riving knives (the euro splitter that goes with the 'euro' fence). Is it pronounced riving as in RIVer or riving as in arRIVal? I was not an English major so I don't know all the rules of pronunciation such as two like vowels in the same word, following a 'v' or whatever.

George

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
0003.jpg

Here's a pic of the euro 'short' fence. Most still use a long fence for sheet goods from what I've read.

Look at this video (hope it still works) <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d7QXIN2X8-...&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d7QXIN2X8-...xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

b4man

New User
Barbara
Joe, thanks for the pic and the link. This really answers my technical questions. Now, on to building a 'paddle switch'!! Searching for my off button during a cut is making me think of Steviegwood!

Barbara

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Hey Barbara, here is an idea for a cutoff switch. Just a touch with your leg anywhere along the length of the bottom bar turns the saw off. Bot hands can stay in control of the workpiece, push sticks, etc.

32694.JPG

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
And on the fence, the Delta Unifence can be moved back to be used just like the Euro fence. Just a thought if you were considering a new fence.

32695.JPG

b4man

New User
Barbara
Now that's a cut off switch! Thanx Mark. I'm getting so many good ideas from this thread:eusa_danc

Barbara

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
oh, Mark, how is the pvc (?) attached to the rail?

Barbara

It is actually attached to the underside of the saw table (I attached a piece of wood to accept the screws) and to the underside of the extension table. It is held in place with 3/4" pipe hangers, the kind used to attach water pipes to framing ( Ʊ ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS