Craftsman RA request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
The Sears web site has an illegible drawing of the motor to my RA saw. Can you help?
The old beast has a get up and go issue. It spins both ways when power is applied, sometimes even
catching on to full cutting speed at the correct one. I stripped it down and cleaned the accumulated dust,cleaned the inside of the brake switch and replaced the capacitor. Still has issues.
Suggestions of solving and or a parts drawing for the motor would be appreciated.
The model number is 113.23100, bought it used so don't have any history.
I have the owners manual, but there isn't a motor break down page.
Thanks, Ed

Sully

New User
jay
My first thought would have been the start capacitor. If that is bad, it would show the symptoms you are describing: starting in some random direction. However, since you changed the capacitor it is most likely the centrifugal switch. Some items to check:

1) What condition are the contacts on the switch? If they are corroded or worn badly they should be lightly cleaned. A small emory board (aka fingernail file) will work well. Just don't go crazy on them: a little polishing will do it.

2) It could also be that the springs in the centrifugal swith mechanism are too weak to bring the "flywheel" arms back in. In this case, the switch would essentially be open and the motor would either hesitate or run in some random direction. You should be able to hear the switch close when you power down the motor. Take the blade off so that there is less noise.

3) Edit to add: One other item to check. If you spin up the shaft in the correct direction by hand (remove blade) and then switch on power, what does it do?

Jay

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Thanks, I have adjusted the switching assm in/out the shaft and closed the bracket the springs are attached to and it seems to work( it did not come to speed without the closure of the spring assms).

Don't know if it will over heat,( if the springs open after obtaining full speed, or are suppose to?)or whether it is some braking assm(has a two piece clutch with cork on one face, so assuming it is).

Sully

New User
jay
The centrifugal switch should open and remain open once they motor gets up to speed. And it should close when the motor spins down after you cut power to it.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
I have turned it on and off several times, does this mean that the switch is working and doesn't have to be cleaned and lubed?

Sully

New User
jay
Possibly. It could be that having sat for a while, the switch could have gotten some crud or dirt in it that was keeping it from working. If it seems to be working now, I'd call it good and leave it alone. If it happens again at a later date, you might delve in to cleaning/lubing the centrifugal switch.

$0.02
J

I have turned it on and off several times, does this mean that the switch is working and doesn't have to be cleaned and lubed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors