Senior User
Not mine, etc.

Craftsman/Belsaw planer - $300 (Currie)

1645465649998.png

Last edited:

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
I know this is not yours but what do you (or anyone else) know about this model?
Can one still get parts (e.g. blades)?
If it is working properly, how would this compare to a Dewalt bench top planer?

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I know this is not yours but what do you (or anyone else) know about this model?
Can one still get parts (e.g. blades)?
If it is working properly, how would this compare to a Dewalt bench top planer?

I had one of these for about 15 years. It's an old fashioned, cast iron, heavy-duty tool. I replaced it and my 6" jointer with a jointer/planer combo to save floor space in a small shop. Some parts are available, but it's not the kind of machine that is going to need a lot of maintenance other than blade sharpening. Chip collection is problematic. I rigged up a generic shroud that helped, but it was still not ideal.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
I am in the market for a planer but don't want to spend a fortune. The new Dewalts run about $600 so I was looking at a craftsman bench top and even the Bauer from HF in the $400 range. But this seems like it may be a much better tool...more power...better built, etc.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I used the Belsaw version for 25 + years. Never had any problems with it. Great machine and built like a tank.
Far better than any lunchbox planer IMO.
The 5 HP motor is worth far more than $300.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I used the Belsaw version for 25 + years. Never had any problems with it. Great machine and built like a tank.
Far better than any lunchbox planer IMO.
The 5 HP motor is worth far more than $300.
Amen!! Don't forget that machine also runs molding. Forty years ago, cabinet shop up the road from me ran one of these. He ran the rough 3 X 10 yellow pine board (air dried)that is the mantle over fireplace for me-gratus!

mrmilburt

New User
mike
Knives are readily available, and fairly economical. Invest in a good knife setting jig and you'll be all set.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Belsaw is still sort of around. https://www.belsaw.com/

In your shoes, my interest would depend on whether this is in good working order and whether its a 12" or larger machine (Craftsman/Belsaw also made some 8" and 10" wide machines).

If its in good working order now, it wouldn't scare me for $300.

Belsaw also made some molder/planers for/with Powermatic. In fact, I have the bigger brother version..the Powermatic PM15 planer molder.

-Mark

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
There's a world of information in this series planer over on owwm.org. Lots of rebuild photo essays.
The Belsaw is an inexpensive industrial machine. The DeWalt and its ilk are merely light weight portable power tools in comparison.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have had that model planer since the 70's--------still running strong. I did change the feed rate gear and chain to increase feed rate from 12 ft. per minute to 22 ft per minute. Would not trade it for a dozen lunch box planers.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Thank you every for your input.
I am not sure he has 220 in his shop so I may not be able to power it up so that is a big red flag. I’m waiting to hear back from him.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Another wonderful detail about that planer is that the big crank raises the bed 1/16" exactly. Precision thicknesses are easy.
A down side is that every turn of the crank moves the bed 1/16" so when you're going from 3/4" down to 6", you're going to be busy for a minute or two.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
I am planning to go look at this tomorrow. If he does not have power, what can/should I check? I am thinking the motor should turn by hand. what else?
Also, in the picture, it appears the crank is missing. I wonder if it is replaceable

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I am planning to go look at this tomorrow. If he does not have power, what can/should I check? I am thinking the motor should turn by hand. what else?
Also, in the picture, it appears the crank is missing. I wonder if it is replaceable
That looks like an older Unisaw or shaper to the right hand side of the planer— I’m going to guess the seller has power to run the Belsaw.

If no power, then what price are you comfortable paying if it doesn’t work? I bought my Belsaw planer without firing it up from a seller that told me it was 3 phase and he didn’t have three phase. My planer is single phase and fired right up after replacing the plug.

If the crank is missing a slotted lug wrench or even slotted socket on an extension would work (obviously not the most elegant solition!). Or others have converted to a motor drive.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The crank is replaceable.
Keep in mind, the planer is sort of noisy but not like the screaming noise of a suitcase planer.
I'll give you a perspective. I think I paid about $900.00 for my Sears/Bellsaw planer in 1974. Adjusted for inflation, that's $5400.00 in today's dollars.

What you'll be looking for is a deal breaker. Grab the chutterhead pulley and move it up and down to see if there is any slop in the bearing. That could mean a worn shaft or it might mean nothing. Look at the castings for a crack. The rollers should be in good shape but if not, replacements are available.

I bought one of those planers for cheap once because it didn't feed well. After looking at things once I got it back to the shop, I could see the problem. The feed rollers aren't adjustable. The bronze bushing simply sits down in a slot. It seems that over time, that slot got filled with sawdust and raised the level of the feed roller significantly. The 'repair' was quickly executed and all was right again.

1     bellsaw - 1.jpg

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
That looks like an older Unisaw or shaper to the right hand side of the planer— I’m going to guess the seller has power to run the Belsaw.

If no power, then what price are you comfortable paying if it doesn’t work? I bought my Belsaw planer without firing it up from a seller that told me it was 3 phase and he didn’t have three phase. My planer is single phase and fired right up after replacing the plug.

If the crank is missing a slotted lug wrench or even slotted socket on an extension would work (obviously not the most elegant solition!). Or others have converted to a motor drive.
I am not sure that is in his shop but we shall see.
Glad to know the missing crank has workarounds

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
The crank is replaceable.
Keep in mind, the planer is sort of noisy but not like the screaming noise of a suitcase planer.
I'll give you a perspective. I think I paid about $900.00 for my Sears/Bellsaw planer in 1974. Adjusted for inflation, that's $5400.00 in today's dollars.

What you'll be looking for is a deal breaker. Grab the chutterhead pulley and move it up and down to see if there is any slop in the bearing. That could mean a worn shaft or it might mean nothing. Look at the castings for a crack. The rollers should be in good shape but if not, replacements are available.

I bought one of those planers for cheap once because it didn't feed well. After looking at things once I got it back to the shop, I could see the problem. The feed rollers aren't adjustable. The bronze bushing simply sits down in a slot. It seems that over time, that slot got filled with sawdust and raised the level of the feed roller significantly. The 'repair' was quickly executed and all was right again.

View attachment 208619
WOW!!! Thanks for that perspective.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the Chutterhead pulley?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
WOW!!! Thanks for that perspective.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the Chutterhead pulley?
Excuse my sloppy typing. Cutterhead.
Below is the shaft sticking out that the pulley goes on. This is where to test. (its the best photo I've got)
Go on line or to vintagemachinery.org and get a manual and parts list and look at the internals of the machine. Its pretty simple for a planer.
Taking 1/8" off at a pass on a 12" board is no big deal for that planer.

1     bellsaw 1 - 1.jpg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Echoing all the 'built like a tank' comments - and all the other comments here.
This is my current planer and it will outlive me. Yes takes some floor space, but if you have the electrical to run it, I consider a far superior options to a lunchbox planer, especially if you run larger boards. Mine is about a 12" capacity so it is not super wide. I don't use it much, but have had it 10 years or so I think and never had an issue.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Excuse my sloppy typing. Cutterhead.
Below is the shaft sticking out that the pulley goes on. This is where to test. (its the best photo I've got)
Go on line or to vintagemachinery.org and get a manual and parts list and look at the internals of the machine. Its pretty simple for a planer.
Taking 1/8" off at a pass on a 12" board is no big deal for that planer.

View attachment 208620
OMG - I should have figured that out...I am a total noob with planers. That is why I appreciate everyone's input here.

And Henry W, I wired my shop so I could add 220 and I have a bit of room so I think it will do very nicely. From everyone's input, I think this is the model I want even if this one doesn't pan out.

Anyone know how heavy this is? I will need to lift it into my pickup

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors