Craftsman/Belsaw planer - $300 (Currie) GONE

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
OMG - I should have figured that out...I am a total noob with planers. That is why I appreciate everyone's input here.

And Henry W, I wired my shop so I could add 220 and I have a bit of room so I think it will do very nicely. From everyone's input, I think this is the model I want even if this one doesn't pan out.

Anyone know how heavy this is? I will need to lift it into my pickup

The planer section can be separated from the base by 4 bolts I think. When I bought mine almost 20 years ago I was still pretty strong and waddled it over into the back of my station wagon by myself, much to the astonishment of the older fellow I bought it from. There's no way I could do that now.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
It’ll be a couple hundred pounds. Have help available. And bring a tool kit so you can pull the motor and the stand if needed. That’ll make it much more manageable if you have limited help.

-Mark

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Take some sockets and open end wrenches.
Four bolts and the planer comes off the stand once the belts are removed. Taking off the hood is good form also. Even at that, it still will be a two man job for the easiest way. 1     bellsaw 2 - 1.jpg

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
I did not get out there tonight because it was not in the town I thought it was in. New plan is to go tomorrow.
But I did get them to send me another picture.
It is a bit rusty and is missing the outfeed tables and crank.
If the price is right I think I will still get it.
IMG_0078.jpg

Thanks everyone for the info about separating the top and bottom.
So as a noob, how do I get the belts off? Do I just roll them off or is there a bolt like on a car alternator?
Also, how is the top attached? Or more importantly, how do I take it off

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
So as a noob, how do I get the belts off? Do I just roll them off or is there a bolt like on a car alternator?
Also, how is the top attached? Or more importantly, how do I take it off
Yes, just roll off the belts.

The top is held on by two hinges with two bolts. Remove the two nuts and washers. Back out the bolts and top comes off. You’ll understand as soon as you see it—another benefit is that these planers are fairly intuitive.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Yes, just roll off the belts.

The top is held on by two hinges with two bolts. Remove the two nuts and washers. Back out the bolts and top comes off. You’ll understand as soon as you see it—another benefit is that these planers are fairly intuitive.
Thank you very much for the insight.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
So I bought it!!! He did not have a 220 outlet so I could not test it, but I took a chance. I am hoping that I can get a 220 line run this weekend or next week so I can test it out.
Thank you all for the advice and input; especially regarding separating the top and base!!! Without that knowledge, I would not have gotten it into the truck!
So now...umm...who wants to help me figure out how to clean it and set it up - LOL!

835CFD46-2F8B-4BDC-8751-3B3457F95932.jpeg 83F88005-DEA5-4A56-AA01-1672A8751B02_1_201_a.jpeg 195E722E-A503-429E-841E-1327720727A8.jpeg F6A17C83-40EC-41EC-B8A9-E6E1D5D077DD.jpeg 5A8B029D-D6A6-401A-A42B-EB7C011793F1.jpeg 808B145D-0D2E-415A-9C08-1D1D6E40C25D.jpeg 2A69B2E1-E8CE-4479-8E3C-35C8B0365B81.jpeg 62E65542-1B3C-475E-87ED-CD63F2DCD17B.jpeg 409E1DBD-FEAA-409A-B2C2-C2C7BD6FC939.jpeg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That planer seems to be in mint condition. You scored!
There seems to be little or no wear on the rollers. Whether or not sitting idle has allowed them to dry rot, only time and use will tell.
The 24 amp 5 HP motor is an Emerson. The motor alone will cost close to a grand these days.
It has a quality manual starter also.
A razor blade will get the rust off the bed.
The above manual should be all you need to set that planer up.
Know that that sheet metal top cover rattles and bangs a bit while the machine is running. That's normal.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
So I bought it!!! He did not have a 220 outlet so I could not test it, but I took a chance. I am hoping that I can get a 220 line run this weekend or next week so I can test it out.
Thank you all for the advice and input; especially regarding separating the top and base!!! Without that knowledge, I would not have gotten it into the truck!
So now...umm...who wants to help me figure out how to clean it and set it up - LOL!

View attachment 208644 View attachment 208645 View attachment 208647 View attachment 208648 View attachment 208649 View attachment 208650 View attachment 208651 View attachment 208652 View attachment 208653
SCORE!!!

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I would get some PB Blaster, WD 40 and steel wool (and disposable gloves). Pull the knives (did you get a knife setting jig?), then get to cleaning the cutter head, table and steel rollers with wd40 and steel wool.

Some strategically placed weather stripping and a cheap bungee should solve the rattling of the sheet metal cover.

How wide a board will the machine take? Get any molding knives with it?

-Mark

Langd002

New User
Scott
Congratulations,

You new old Planer looks very similiar to my 1980's Woodmaster 712 (Still running well). Except your drive mechanism uses chains and mine uses v-belts.
Woodmaster is still in business. I suspect you might be able to get replacement parts like new bed rollers if needed.

Scott

Langd002

New User
Scott
Attached is a RBI/Woodmaster model 612 manual. Not identical to yours but very similiar. Perhaps it will help.

Scott

Attachments

• Woodmaster 612 Manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 466

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
That planer seems to be in mint condition. You scored!
There seems to be little or no wear on the rollers. Whether or not sitting idle has allowed them to dry rot, only time and use will tell.
The 24 amp 5 HP motor is an Emerson. The motor alone will cost close to a grand these days.
It has a quality manual starter also.
A razor blade will get the rust off the bed.
The above manual should be all you need to set that planer up.
Know that that sheet metal top cover rattles and bangs a bit while the machine is running. That's normal.
I would not say it is in Mint condition but it is definitely not beat up!
So, again, I am letting my ignorance show, but is the gray, hard rubber cylinder the "roller" supposed to rotate or do they just move up and down?
And it looks to me like a bit of dry rot on the right end.

808B145D-0D2E-415A-9C08-1D1D6E40C25D.jpeg

Also, here is picture of the starter.

4AB3A18B-FAFC-47D4-95B0-8A16CED72004.jpeg

Last edited:

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
I would get some PB Blaster, WD 40 and steel wool (and disposable gloves). Pull the knives (did you get a knife setting jig?), then get to cleaning the cutter head, table and steel rollers with wd40 and steel wool.

Some strategically placed weather stripping and a cheap bungee should solve the rattling of the sheet metal cover.

How wide a board will the machine take? Get any molding knives with it?

-Mark
Thanks for the suggestions on cleaning it up and stopping the rattle.
I ended up getting some Evapo Rust from HF. I have to admit I was surprised at how well it cleaned up. Some folks might have gone even further but it was late and I was happy with the results.
I tried to buff it with some white grit polish stuff but I had no luck. So I just put on a coat of paste wax

I may have to go back and get the ends of the shafts but first I need to figure out how to get the chains and belts off.
So here are the before and after pics:

808B145D-0D2E-415A-9C08-1D1D6E40C25D.jpeg
A0402183-3944-48C0-AC22-9A3F124185DF.jpeg

835CFD46-2F8B-4BDC-8751-3B3457F95932.jpeg
458FD9E3-3AEC-4219-A83E-51E65CABB2C1_1_201_a.jpeg

If I am reading things correctly, it will take a 12" wide board by up to 6" thick.
Unfortunately, not molding knives, but the seller did say he had the other feed table and he thought the crank too (which would be really helpful because using a set of channel locks and turning the shaft 1/2 way at at time took forever to move it down to be able to clean the bed.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Congratulations,

You new old Planer looks very similiar to my 1980's Woodmaster 712 (Still running well). Except your drive mechanism uses chains and mine uses v-belts.
Woodmaster is still in business. I suspect you might be able to get replacement parts like new bed rollers if needed.

Scott
Thank you for the suggestion on parts and the 612 manual. There is a Belsaw page that had parts but I am not sure if they had the rollers

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS