Cradle building

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomzoom

New User
Don
I've got learn to use a computer. I've also got to build a cradle for granddaughter. I have some cypress. Would this be a good wood to use and what would be a safe finish to use? I hope I am posting right.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Evening,
From my experience, cypress is generally best suited for outdoors use. I have made a number of items for my grand daughters (doll cradles, rockers..) mostly used poplar(very light so they can move it around). Made a full size pendulum baby cradle for my 2nd grand daughter out of oak. However, having said all this, you use what ya got.....I am always looking for cypress, as I use it for making adirondack porch chairs, small end tables. Depending on how much wood is involved, If you would be interested in a trade of cypress for oak, drop me a note...
Tony ...

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Don, I have recently used cypress in two projects...adirondack chairs and gardeners work bench. I like working with cypress. It is easy to work with but I'm not sure I would use it for a baby cradle. You have to be careful with some of the boards where the growth rings come to the surface it tends to splinter up. I built a cradle for my first grandchild earlier this year and I used red oak. It turned out real nice, I think. Pictures in my gallery.

Good luck with the cradle. Congrats on the granddaughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS