Covered box (Black Walnut root wood)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
I started out by making a bowl from part of a root ball from a black walnut tree, but put in a lip just in case I wanted to add a lid. I decided a lid might be nice, so I added a finial. It ended up looking like a giant acorn, so I balanced it out with a pedestal base. Four different pieces were used, all from a walnut root. It was a BIG root ball (4 ft across). It takes a while to dry and even though I had each lump sealed in AnchorSeal, it still developed some cracks, so I filled them with crushed turquoise. The entire piece stands 10 inches tall, and is about 4 1/2 inches wide. C&C welcomed. Dave Peterson

Attachments

• WalnutRootBallFB1.jpg
    WalnutRootBallFB1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 107

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I like the look Dave. Your choices for wood are some I always enjoy- walnut and the root ball. I love when a piece takes charge and dictates you keep going with it. I've only used crushed turquoise once and think I ought to have used thinner ca as it kept wanting to sort of chunk out.
I've been reading and learning about saving bowls/turnings a good bit lately. Sometimes I hate to think about some I threw into the burn bin out of disgust and would love to have back to work on.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
I sanded it to 3000 grit, then added walnut oil to it, and after that dried, I put on some linseed oil and wiped it off right away. no other finish. Regarding turquoise inlay: use very fine gravel, sand it down, then add powdered turquoise to fill in the gaps, then sand again. Both are available from Crafts out of Provo Utah. If it is a deep crack, I do it in layers, always starting with a layer of CA, followed by the turquoise, then another layer of CA on top of that. let it dry, then repeat. I also find that turquoise looks good in dark walnut and in cherry burl, but the jury is still out on other woods to use it with. I don't think it looks that good in blond colored woods.

Dave Peterson

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Very nice. I love the wood. Isn't it great how some things turn out, even without "proper" planning:rotflm:

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I'm not a fan of the turquoise, but the piece itself is absolutely beautiful. For my own personal taste, the turquoise grabs my eye right away, distracting me from the great craftsmanship and beauty of the rest of the piece. But hey, who am I to judge? If you like it, that is all that matters. Nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS