Corian zero clearance inserts

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I got this 24x40 piece of corian from the Habitat re-use center for $7. It made several really nice zero clearance inserts. Notice the holes for set screws. Who would have thought that you could tap corain and it would hold!
DSCF0712.JPG

I put a dado in the edge and epoxied in two magnets. It doesn't vibrate at all. Pretty proud of myself because I came up with that one all by myself :smile:
I also glued the block under the far side of the insert so that it wont' fly out...probably overkill.
DSCF0711.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice work, you've been rather productive lately :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
And that color is to die for :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Me-productive? Yeah right. Notice that, other than the cabinet from WG's class, these are the only pictures that I've posted of anything that I've made in the past YEAR! :rolf:
Not everybody can turn out 8 beautiful boxes every weekend!

And Dr. Phil said that the green color is slimming for the tablesaw...

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Chris I really like your inserts. I need to make some new ones. I used a soft wood on the last one I made and it is getting chewed up where the wood chips are hitting it.

How did you cit it down to size? Did you use regular router bits to shape it?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great insert there, Chris!!!

I have to ask......how did you cut the profile to fit so well? (Router with a pattern bit?)

Thanks,

Wayne

chris99z71

New User
Chris
It was actually very easy.
First, I ripped it to width on the tablesaw.
Then, I trimmed it to length and put a 45° on each corner.
Next, I put 2 sided tape onto the factory insert and attached it to the corian.
I put a top bearing flush trim bit (pattern bit) in the router table and rode the bearing on the factory insert.
Then, I installed the factory insert with the corian piece still attached back into the saw and slowly raised the blade into the corian. It was necessary to do it this way, because my blade doesn't go down far enough to put the corian in there without touching the blade.
Also, after I removed the tape and installed the corian piece, it was rubbing on the insert on one side. So I removed the blade and put a 0.020" shim from my dado set to push the blade further over to the side that it was rubbing on. Then after removing the shim - I had a little more clearance.

frigator

New User
Robin Frierson
Thats a nice insert, but I have been using the same insert for years. After a while it gets wallowed out and I just put tape on the top, turn it over and fill it with epoxy, and wham, I got a new insert.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks Chris. I will have to try and remember the technique.

Thanks for all of the detail!

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Chris, they don't come any prettier than that! Interesting innovation adding the magnets in addition to the overhang. And a fit that tight, sure won't permit small pieces to hang the blade :icon_thum

Appreciatively,
Roger

M

McRabbet

Let me make a suggestion so you (or others making one) won't have the shimming problem that you encountered. Two tricks will make it an accurate opening anda safe cut-through. If you are making a ZCI for a standard kerf blade, install the 1/8" outer dado blade cutter in place of your regular saw blade (I have a 10" tablesaw and an 8" dado set, but 6" will work, too). If you are making a ZCI for a thin kerf blade, install the corresponding chipper blade from your dado set. Run the blade down all the way and put the new ZCI in place. Now move your fence over to cover at lease 1/2" of the ZCI on the right side. Use a safety push block to hold down the left side of the ZCI and slowly bring the blade up through the insert. Works like a charm and no shims needed.

Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is a very good idea. I didn't think you could tap corian either.

That Corian is the exact same style and color I helped a friend put in his house.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Nice job on the inserts Chris. I have the same problem cutting the initial kerf in mine also. I like the method you used to over come that.

D L

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Chris, are you a "licensed " Corian fabricator? If not you shouldn't post anything made from Corian according to the manufacturer. Thought I would poke a little fun at you. Nice looking insert.

T

toolferone

Corian aka "solid surface counter top".

Now where is that Band-Aid, Kleenex and Q-Tips I needed! LOL

eezlock

New User
Jim Heffner
Good looking job on ZCI for the saw....now it is time for a dado throat plate, one for a 45 degree insert as well! eezlock

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Good looking job on ZCI for the saw....now it is time for a dado throat plate, one for a 45 degree insert as well! eezlock

That's why I made 3 :eusa_danc
But I'm using one for wide dados, one for skinny dados and one for a normal blade. I hadn't thought of one for 45's, but I've got a bunch more "solid surface material" (happy now Tom?:lol:) and it's a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS