Cordless circular saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

weelis

New User
weelis
Am looking to purchase one. Plan to use it to cut scrap,junk wood or trim off ends of irregular rough sawn lumber. Any recommendations as to what to buy? Think there are different size blades also and any comments on that? thanx y'all.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have an 18v dewalt. I believe it has a 5-1/4" blade. I use it for just that purpose as well and it runs a long time on an XRP battery.

cpw

New User
Charles
I have an 18v Ryobi that came in a kit along with a drill, flashlight and radio (that I've never used) that LOML bought me. I use it in a similar vein - mostly cutting up pallets for kindling or basically anything that is not worth dragging out the Festool or too far from an outlet to be practical. It performs well and will run forever on the Lithium batteries. I've never done a project that required me to switch batteries before I was done.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
+3 I also have a DW 18v. I use it for projects in the shop including breaking down ply sheets, critter is a really really good saw. In fact tonight or first thing in morning it is going to bust up a 4x8x1/2" pre finished maple ply into drawerbox blanks :}:}

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
My son and I each have the 18 volt DeWalt wood circular saws which are great for breaking up sheet plywood and doing renovation work. We also have their 18 volt metal cutting circular saw, which is very similar in design to their wood circular saw, but is ideal for cutting up sheet metal (very noisy, but cut fast) All of my other battery operated tools are also DeWalt - Sawzall, Drill, Impact drill, and Impact driver and he also has their 18 volt right angle grinder. The lithium-ion batteries cost a bit more, but we've found that they last much longer in use and also much longer in life, taking about 1000 charging cycles or more before they die. The NiCad batteries cost 80% of the Lithium-Ion batteries and only seem to last through a few hundred charging cycles.

Charley

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I have a dewalt 18v 5-1/4" circular saw that came in a kit with drill, reciprocating saw, impact driver, and light. The light has never had a battery stuck in it that I know of. The circular saw is pretty handy and the battery lasts longer than I thought it would. It will cross cut a 2x with no problem. When we resided my shed, which led to almost rebuilding it, it was used extensively.
I thought the circular saw might get a little use to keep from pulling out extension cords etc but it has been used quite a bit. Battery life is nowhere as long as in a drill but I made over 30 2x4 cuts before changing batteries. I cut up some rough saw mill scrap into a (heck I need another) ladder (quick), and not wanting some one else to die using it, finished it later into kindling pieces.

My daughter wanted a 'real cordless drill' and I fell into a deal on a Ryobi set which included a drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw, and the obligatory light... They have not seen the use my dewalt set gets but I don't worry about taking my stuff over now if I go to help on a project. I redid their basement crawlspace access, worked on a shed door, and some other projects using just her set and the Ryobi tools worked very well.

The other cordless circular saw I've used was a Makita. I think the saw worked very well but desperately needed a new blade- no fault of Makita. I can't compare it due to the wheel they were trying to cut with, but I've had good experience with Makita cordless tools in general.

I did buy a b&d cordless drill. It had been on mar down sale for less than $10 and was then marked down to half its lowest price. I knew it would not be great but for literal pocket change I tried it. Not great as a screwdriver or drill - but the thing is perfect for sharpening. I use it for my angled stone on mower blades and to hold the what is it 5/32 dremel grinder for a saw chain. Turns at a SLOW but very steady rpm. I get consistent sharpening out of it. So even though it isn't a fast powerful machine, it is still a decent addition to my tool collection for what I ask out of it.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also have the 18V Dewalt. I use it for mending fences. Works quicker than a hand-saw to trim a couple inches off of a replacement fence board to replace one that the horses have chewed up or broken. And since most of the fence is a LOOOONG way from the house or barn, it beats using a 1000' extension cord or generator.

Len

New User
Len
I have the 18v Ryobi, also part of a multitool kit. It worked fine for ripping and cross-cutting Pergo flooring when I redid the kitched at my old house. I've also used the Dewalt 18v, and both are good saws. I think it's more a preference for the "feel" of one or the other, than actual tool ability, that makes the difference between them.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i use a hand saw from the borg for breaking down rough lumber -Stanley sharktooth. Totally cordless and never needs a charge.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I have the Ryobi and have been happy with it, especially with the LiIon batts and a new blade from Freud. But if you're looking to do rough trimming, a large toothed saw from Silky http://www.silkysaws.com/ will cut almost as fast, never needs charging, will not leave you with a dead batt in the middle of a job, is far more portable (if that matters) as you can get a folding saw, cuts much thicker material, and has that satisfaction of using a finely made tool. Oh yeah, Silky's NAmerican service center is in NC, Greensboro IIRC.

MTCW, YMMV

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I also have the Ryobi. I used it yesterday to frame in a new attic access door and make the door. It won't quite cut through dimensional lumber. The depth of cut is 1.5 inches but the wood is often a little bowed and you need another 1/8 which the saw doesn't have. You can break it easily but it is a little frustrating. It cuts sheet goods and 1x fine, of course. I got it originally with Ni Cad batteries and was frustrated with battery life. Now I use lithium batteries and it is much more useful.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
i use a hand saw from the borg for breaking down rough lumber -Stanley sharktooth. Totally cordless and never needs a charge.

True that it is cordless and never needs a charge, but what if you forget it? That is why I like to use my teeth, you always have them with you. :no:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I also have the Ryobi. I used it yesterday to frame in a new attic access door and make the door. It won't quite cut through dimensional lumber. The depth of cut is 1.5 inches but the wood is often a little bowed and you need another 1/8 which the saw doesn't have. You can break it easily but it is a little frustrating. It cuts sheet goods and 1x fine, of course. I got it originally with Ni Cad batteries and was frustrated with battery life. Now I use lithium batteries and it is much more useful.

The depth of cut on the Ryobi circular saw is 1-9/16", adequate to reliably cut all but the worst 1-1/2" (2x) lumber. You may wish to verify that you have the correct size blade installed for your saw. Some circular saws with 10mm arbors use 5-3/8" blades (such as B&D) while others, like the Ryobi, use 5-1/2" blades. If you use the undersized blades for your saw then you will lose 1/16" of capacity, which will leave you with precisely 1-1/2" depth of cut with no room to spare.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have the original blade on my Ryobi. It wouldn't go completely through both new PT 2x4 and old dry 2x4s. But it was still more convenient than dragging out an extension cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS