Copy of Bill Clemmons bandsaw fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks Bill for the ideas behind your bandsaw fence. I promised I would post some pictures when I finished mine and here they are:

69CG7231.JPG

View image in gallery

I did a very similar design for the actual fence. However I did not copy your pivot mechanism.

And honestly I wish I had :). I have to tighten down the pivot very tight on mine. I ran out of T-track and that is why it does not run across the whole front of the fence. But it is long enough to get the fence all the way to the back of the saw.

I used a trick to do the supports that I like: Instead of processing the fence face and the bottom of the fence as separate boards I kept them as one piece and cut ~3/4" dados for the supports. Then when I ripped the two parts apart they have perfectly matching dado's to receive the support triangles.

The table I extensions require some explanation :). The front and back rails are 2" thick. I like this because it makes a very nice ledge for clamping (unlike the ribbed cast iron of the table). Then just to see if I could do it I dovetailed back stretcher and used a sliding dovetail for the front stretcher.

The fence works really well. The only improvements I plan are to make a second short fence. This will give me more capacity and let me get the guard/guides lower for non-resaw cuts.

Thanks again Bill!
Salem

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
That's one of the things I love about this site: each person takes an idea, improves it, and passes it on to the next person. Your fence system is definitely an improvement on my crude beginning. I especially like the dovetails on the table extension: VERY, VERY, NICE! ! ! ! ! :banana: Now I'm gonna take some of your ideas and see if I can incorporate them into the fence I need to build for my other band saw, the Rikon.

Great job, Salem. :icon_thum

Bill

eyekode

New User
Salem
The dovetails are definitely not a design improvement :). They are aesthetic only. Just seeing if I could cut them accurately enough in length. I was also practicing huge DT's for the endcaps I will someday put on my not-yet-started workbench :).

Your post got me motivated to do something instead of think about doing something :).

Best wishes,
Salem

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bill - great design!

Salem, great craftsmanship!!! I especially like the dovetails (as well as the quartersawn oak!). You ought to put some finish on the hardwood; it will help show it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS