Completely New To Woodworking

Status
Not open for further replies.

runejg

New User
Elias
Hello Woodworkers of North Carolina,

My name is Elias and I just recently was told about this great hobby of woodworking. Before hearing about it, I had never heard anything about it. I built a work bench and showed it to a friend and he said I should consider doing some woodworking and my reaction was "Woodworking. What's that?" So I looked up online about woodworking and found this site and other great resources. I sure am glad I found this site because I honestly do not know where to begin or how to get started. I did however look at many photos of woodworking benches and kind of wished I had used a thicker top to my bench for when I add vises, hopefully I will be able to manage. I was curious to know if there were any other users on this forum that reside in Jacksonville, NC? If so maybe you can tell me if there is a woodworking community in the city that meets up of some sort. I could use all the help I can get. I finished up my Bachelor of Arts in Music from UNCW last year and currently work at Lowe's Home Improvement Store. With having the weekends off, that is generally the time I am going to spend working on wood. If anyone knows any great sites to buy the essential tools needed that would be awesome. I'm glad I found this community and will be looking forward to learning and also helping out in the future. Thanks for having me! Here are some pictures of the work bench I built, even though it may not be suitable for woodworking. I built the bench solely from scraps as my budget was really thin at the time being. Sorry if the picture is huge!

100_0178.jpg

eyekode

New User
Salem
Welcome Elias! There are quite a few very active members of NCWW in your area so you are in luck!
Salem

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Elias. Your bench looks just fine. Many, many of us made our first bench from 2x4's and a sheet of plywood. As you get more into woodworking, you'll decide what you need, and don't need, in a bench, and eventually you'll build your dream bench. That's the way most of us have done it.

Bill

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Elias,

We are a friendly group of woodworkers. Don't be shy about asking any question about your new hobby. There is a wealth of knowledge on this website. You have already mastered adding pictures to your post. We really like pictures. If you know what kind of woodworking you would like to try and your budget, I'm sure that many people would be happy to suggest where to buy some tools. We are great tool enablers.

Steve

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Welcome,

I would check out Woodworking for Mere Mortals on You Tube, I think he has a web site also. Entertaining and he builds projects to hone skills that don't need a massive amount of tools. Check out your local Wood Craft store. They offer some great classes, Also watch this site, many of the members offer "workshops".

Good Luck

pviser

New User
paul
I'm with Bill. The table is a great start. There will always be time later to design and build a great bench in the classic style, one with details suitable to your specific interests. For now, focus on learning the basics of safely ripping, crosscutting, jointing, and planing your stock. Your shop will soon be filling up with your custom-made tables, benches, cabinets, and jigs. It's all about the journey...

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Welcome! You will find this is the friendliest forum on the web. Everyone here is willing to answer questions or help in anyway they can. There is a wide variety of skills. Some of us are basically beginners and there are others that are true artists. Jump in and don't hesitate to ask questions.:)

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Elias,
Welcome aboard and nice first project. This is a great site; you just need to ask the questions and great advice will be provided.
Tim

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard Elias.

Another good woodworking resource is wood working magazines. Pick up a copy of Wood Magazine when you get a chance. They usually have some good step by step projects.

cpw

New User
Charles
Welcome Elias. One of the great things about getting into woodworking now, is the sometimes overwhelming amount of information available on the web.

As far as tools go, where you should start will all depend on what type of woodworking you want to do. A lot of folks have the full blown home shop with a table saw, joiner, planer, drill press, band saw, chop saw, router, shaper, etc., etc., etc (are you getting the idea that you can spend A LOT of $$$ on this?). Many of us save a lot of money by trolling Craigs List for hot deals on used equipment. Others are "scrollers," mostly cutting patterns and pictures using a scroll saw. Others are "turners," using the lathe or even a mini-lathe to create unique writing pens and other small items. You may decide to go "Neander," (as in Neanderthal) an use non-powered hand tools almost exclusively.

Some other sites you might want to check out:
Getting Started in Woodworking from Fine Woodworking magazine.
The Wood Whisperer. Marc Spagnuolo is a a really cool, easy going woodworker and dedicated blogger/videographer. His videos are a great introduction to woodworking from the perspective of someone who really just jumped in with both feet.
Logan Cabinet Shoppe. Bob Rozaieski is a completely Neander cabinet maker and also a dedicated blogger and podcaster.

Also, there are a few woodworking programs on UNC-TV. A lot of us got into woodworking because we saw New Yankee Workshop with Norm Abram and The Woodwright's Shop with Roy Underhill. I don't think they are broadcasting Norm anymore but Roy is still on and there is also Woodsmith Shop.

There are also episodes of The Woodwright's Shop available online.

I hope this helps you get going.

Cheers,
Charles

Last edited:

RayH

New User
Ray
Welcome to the group. I believe you will find a wealth of information (and a lot of enjoyment) here.

Ray

eastern_shore

New User
Rich
Welcome to the group. It will not be any time at all before you start hearing, "Is there any tool you DON'T own?" It's quite the hobby you have selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors