community work sharp for the charlotte area

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
I was at the Klingspor show this last weekend and saw a great presentation by one of our own on the use of the work sharp tool sharpening system. It seemed quick, easy and a very good system.

Then I got to looking into the purchase of the work sharp and the 3000 goes for about $300. That seems like a lot of money to spend on sharpening chisels a couple of times a year.

Then I got to thinking like a cheap Scottsman, and I was wondering if several people from the charlotte area could pool their money and buy one unit that can be passed on to each other as you need it?

Here is how I can envision this working.
1. Get interest from at least six individuals that want in on the deal.
2. Pool money, (maybe $50 or less depending on interest)
3. One person buys the unit to start.
4. As anyone in the pool needs the work sharp, they go to the current owner and get it, use it and keep it until the next user comes calling and gets it.

By using this system, several woodworkers can have access to a sharping system for their chisels without paying a lot money for something they use infrequently.

This is just a idea and it may be weird but I would like to hear from anyone who thinks this just might work.

Mark

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Pardon the intrusion of a Raleigh interloper, but I have a couple of comments...

That price is high. The 3000 can be had for about $200 and the 2000 for about $100.

I am thinking about getting one. Wouldn't you keep a honing pad on it most of the time and still use it often?

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
Andy,
I just looked on line and took the first price I found as "gospel". I sure your right and less expensive options are available. I already have a leather honing pad so I wouldn't get this system out just to polish up already sharp chisels. I really need a sharpening system that I can use a couple of times a year to correct my mistakes and get my blades back to a proper condition and besides, and I am really cheap. This may be a stupid idea but I wanted thoughts and this site is the best place for those so I'm layin it out there.

mark

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I think it has some merrit. I might be interested in this depending on how cheap it ends up being per person and if it is good for sharpening lathe tools. I have heard that it is and I have heard that it isn't. I like the size compared to a grinder and the wolverine jigs.

thrytis

New User
Eric
I'm not interested in the sharing (logistics in sharing for me probably would be more than the effort i would save using the worksharp), but at the moment it is $175.97 on Amazon (if buying, please click on "Shop" above and go to Amazon that way rather than using my link so ncww benefits).

M

McRabbet

Actually Eric, you link does include the NCWW reference embedded in it. I was the one that did the demonstration at the Klingspor show and they had it on sale for 10% off the MSRP of $199.95 at $179.95 -- I believe you can get it from them with the discount if you are DQ here. While it might be a few cents cheaper at Amazon.com, you get to support a NC company by buying it here. It is a great machine and is well worth the money. BTW, PeteM had a great idea in a and use them as a honing surface versus the $30 leather disc.

I agree with Eric that sharing across town might be a bit of a hassle, but you guys work it out -- it is lots less expensive than Gordon mentioned. Just my $0.02 on the topic.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
If you just want to use it a couple of times a year you can just come over my place and use mine. I keep it set up and use it every time I take out a chisel. Just a quick touch on the bevel to assure a nice sharp edge.

pete

jimwill48

James
As any Worksharp user knows the machine price is not that bad but the PSA Disks can kill you since they get used up quite fast. If anyone is interested the following Klingspor PSA Disks work great on the Worksharp and are a lot cheaper than the Worksharp packaged disks. You do have to cut the hole for the spindle but thats not much of a hassle.
These are 50 pks at $14.95 per grit.

SD50003 - 120 grit
SD81017 - 400 Grit
SD81017 - 1000 grit

They also have a bunch of in between grits also. I like to keep some 80 grit around for the times when you need to remove a lot of metal to clean up a damaged edge.

James

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Mark, it's a great idea, with a few practical problems. One of the nicest things about the machine is that you can very quickly touch up a chisel. I'll be chopping a mortise, get annoyed how long it takes, re-hone the microbevel, and resume chopping, still annoyed but at least now I know it wasn't the chisel :) You lose that ability if you don't have the machine full time in your shop.

The other problem is the disks. Imagine you put on all fresh abrasives, sharpened two chisels, and by the time you get the machine back the disks are worn down completely. So you need to have a very understanding group of people that don't nit-pick and nickle and dime one another over every last piece of grit.

Having said that, I think the idea is admirable. I'm sorry to say that my tools are idle 95% of the time - such a waste! There are lots of tools we use frequently but not every day that could probably share - sharpener, clamps, biscuit joiner, nail gun etc.

I made some extra disks out of 1/2" MDF for the coarser abrasives. It requires a little fiddling, but works just fine. I also use the Klingspor disks for 80 and 120 grit. You need to make the hole and trim a slight edge, but that's pretty straightforward.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Eric, thanks for reminding everyone to shop via the links on this site to help NC WW pay the bills. As Rob pointed out, for links to Amazon the reference to NC WW is included automatically. One of the exceedingly smart assistant web masters enhanced the site to magically do this :)

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I made some extra disks out of 1/2" MDF for the coarser abrasives. It requires a little fiddling, but works just fine.

FWIW: I ran out of 1/2" mdf so I took some 1/4" and glued some 1/8" hardboard to it. That combo comes out very close to the thickness of the glass plate. Also, I just use flat sheets of sandpaper and use spray adhesive to stick 'em on.

pete

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
Ok guys I get it. It was a good / not so good idea. Not every idea Ive had turned out great and this is just one of those. I still appreciate everyone's response and if I come up with another "good" idea, I will still share it with the group.
Thanks to all.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS