Combining Two Hobbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayban

New User
Ray
I have two hobbies that I really enjoy....woodworking and beekeeping. I've found that there are many opportunities to combine the two. This is one of my latest beekeeping projects. They are about 90% complete. Anyone have other examples of folks using their woodworking skills in another hobby?

assembled bee hive bodies.jpg

Last edited:

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I have been interested in bee keeping. Unfortunately, my wife is not and I don't have the time for another hobby (with woodworking, reloading, gardening, chickens, guineas, guitar and DIY everything, I have run out of time). Ideally, I would like to retire and just do these things. Long time from now though. Do you have a design or specific type of hive you like best? A good friend of mine plans on starting and he plans on using a type that looks like a (manger with V racks in it), know anything about that?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Make that three. I also enjoy anything on the water, so making canoes and kayaks fits right in and I also enjoy flying model planes, I have eighteen that I have built and rebuilt too often when I crash.
The photo below has one of my planes hanging in the shop - That is a 1/3 scale plane with a nine foot wingspan. The canoe is an ultralite skin on frame. This probably combines into one hobby - making stuff that works
DSC04452.JPG

eyekode

New User
Salem
Those boxes look really great! I too would like to know how the hand holds are made.
I started WW from another "hobby": audio. My first projects were speaker boxes. And my latest was too :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423143412.799536.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The handle looks to me like it was cut with a very large Forstner bit at a steep angle. Or possibly an angle grinder in some sort of jig. But I'm guessing.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Those handle caught my eye and I spent some time looking it up. Basically it uses a 15 degree angled sled that brings the work piece ( or the blade) in from the side. Sort of a cove cut. Neat execution of a useful feature.

thanks for posting that picture in your thread.

What sort of wood? Cypress? Are these for your personal use?

BWSmith

New User
BW
I'd be hardpressed to think of any hobbies here that didn't include some serious WW'ing?See if these pics load.....ok this might take a few minutes,haha.

BWSmith

New User
BW
See if this works?We build bows and a few rifle stocks here and there.Just love shooting/hunting and the eating that hopefully follows,haha.

Attachments

• 100_2101.jpg
    100_2101.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 100_1919.jpg
    100_1919.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 158

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

DSC059521.JPG

DSC05946.JPG

pot_and_pencil.jpg

Wood, pewter and iron. Two hobbies above.

Next hobby: below Adirondack Guideboat built by Chris Woodward. Hope to get started on mine this summer.
woodward_gb.jpg

Rayban

New User
Ray
I have been interested in bee keeping. Unfortunately, my wife is not and I don't have the time for another hobby (with woodworking, reloading, gardening, chickens, guineas, guitar and DIY everything, I have run out of time). Ideally, I would like to retire and just do these things. Long time from now though. Do you have a design or specific type of hive you like best? A good friend of mine plans on starting and he plans on using a type that looks like a (manger with V racks in it), know anything about that?

Sounds like a topbar hive. I have seen a number of folks using them and they look pretty simple to make. Perhaps I'll venture down that road in the future. Sounds like you have enough hobbies to keep you busy.

Rayban

New User
Ray
Make that three. I also enjoy anything on the water, so making canoes and kayaks fits right in and I also enjoy flying model planes, I have eighteen that I have built and rebuilt too often when I crash.
The photo below has one of my planes hanging in the shop - That is a 1/3 scale plane with a nine foot wingspan. The canoe is an ultralite skin on frame. This probably combines into one hobby - making stuff that works
DSC04452.JPG

Now that's awesome!

Rayban

New User
Ray
Those handle caught my eye and I spent some time looking it up. Basically it uses a 15 degree angled sled that brings the work piece ( or the blade) in from the side. Sort of a cove cut. Neat execution of a useful feature.

thanks for posting that picture in your thread.

What sort of wood? Cypress? Are these for your personal use?

Thanks. It was a pine that a storm took the top out a couple years ago. I've had it air drying since and decided to send it to the kiln for insurance a couple months ago. This was a good use for part of it. The tree was old and about 24 inches in diameter at the base so I have a lot left for other projects. These are for my personal use and another beekeeper nearby.

I love seeing photos of what everyone builds. Reminds me of how little knowledge and skill I have.

Last edited:

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Very innovative use of the radial arm saw. They are a very versatile tool and I wouldn't give up mine for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS