Colonial Williamsburg Woorking Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
in the 18 th Century - Bedroom Furniture

A truly wonderful experience. We studied "Making a Cabriole-Leg, Low-Post Bedstead", "Making a Mahogany Child's Cradle:, and "Making a Looking Glass and Dressing Glass" each aught by one of the cabinet making staff.

Steve Latta taught "Making a Federal Lady's Dressing Table"

Roy Underhill showed us a "Press Drill"

Everything was done in the "period" methodology with tools made in the local smith shop. Lots of hand carving, hand dovetails, making veneer by hand, guilding, etc.

It really gives me a lot of insight and confidence so I know hoe to really mess things by by hand in addition to using power tools.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Wow John, that is awesome! And what kind of hat do I see on Roy's head??? Could it be....

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Yes, That is a NCWW hat on Roy's head. I did tell him about us and Steve as well. I also got a pic of Steve with a hat but I messed up the shot.

FYI, Roy is moving to this area and setting up a school in Pittsboro, just off of the circle. He has 10 benches and will have Steve Latta in to teach as well as many others.

This could be a very special thing for us.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
I have 120 or so pics but with the licensing issues I can not publish them on the site.

We (Steve Lenier and I) were also able to go into the storage areas of the museum to measure and photograph a "standing desk" from 1760. Steve is going to make one for himself.

If anyone knows the Historic Area, there is a reproduction in cherry in one of the shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors