coin display

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Here is one of the first hanging coin displays i made. made from red oak and a lacquer finish

CoinDisplay5.jpg

The person that bought it had some suggestions on adding a sliding door to it. Since the first one was supposed to have a glass door, But that door was heavy and was causing it to pull down when opening it.

So the second one i added the sliding door to it and came out pretty nice.
PICT0230.jpg

PICT0231.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looking good John. Those are a lot of coins, what are they, they don't look like currency I've ever seen.
How thick of glass did you use for the sliding door? I have a project that I am working on and am indecisive as to what thickness of glass to use. Is it tempered???

Dave:)

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
The coins are military challenge coins. Alot of service members get them while serving, It's like an award that is handed out from higher ranking officials. But alot of people just collect different coins, you can buy them. But the most valuable ones to an individual is the ones that are given to him from someone in the military or high ranking goverment officals.

I used 1/8" glass from lowes and it wasn't tempered, the size of hinges i used was small. the door lip was less than 3/4" thick so i couldn't use a big hinge.

This one i used 1/8 plexi glass from Lowes.

here is the story of the challenge coins.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]History of the Challenge Coin[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]During World War I, American volunteers from all parts of the country filled the newly formed flying squadrons. Some were wealthy scions attending colleges such as Yale and Harvard who quit in midterm to join the war. In one squadron, a wealthy lieutenant ordered medallions struck in solid bronze carrying the squadron emblem for every member of his squadron. He himself carried his medallion in a small leather sack around his neck.[/SIZE][/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Shortly after acquiring the medallions, this pilot's aircraft was severely damaged by ground fire. He was forced to land behind enemy lines and was immediately captured by a German Patrol. In order to discourage his escape, the Germans took all of his personal identification except for the small leather pouch around his neck. In the meantime, he was taken to a small French town near the front. Taking advantage of a bombardment that night he donned civilian clothes and escaped. However, he was without personal identification.[/SIZE][/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]He succeeded in avoiding German patrols and reached the front lines. With great difficulty, he crossed no-man's land. Eventually, he stumbled into a French outpost. Unfortunately, the French in this sector of the front had been plagued by saboteurs. They sometimes masqueraded as civilians and wore civilian clothers. Not recognizing the young pilot's American accent, the French thought him to be a saboteur and made ready to execute him. Just in time, he remembered his leather pouch containing the medallion. He showed the medallion to his would-be executioners. His French captors recognized the squadron insignia on the medallion and delayed long enough for him to confirm his identity. Instead of shooting him, they gave him a bottle of wine.[/SIZE][/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Back with his squadron, it became a tradition to ensure that all members carried their medallion or coin at all times. This was accomplished through a challenge in the following manner, a challenger would ask to see the coin, if he challenger could not produce his coin, he was required to purchase a drink of choice for he member who had challenged him. If the challenged member produced his coin, then the challenging member was required to pay for the drink. This tradition continued throughout the war and for many years after while surviving members of the squadron were still alive.[/SIZE][/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Coin Check" Rules[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. A “Coin Check” consists of a challenge and response. A challenge is initiated by either holding your coin in the air or slamming it on a table or floor and yelling “Coin Check!”
2. Individual(s) challenged must respond by showing their Coin with their own unit’s logo to the challenger within 10 seconds.
3. Anyone challenged who doesn’t show their Coin must buy a round of drinks for all challenged, including the challenger.
4. Coin Checks are permitted anywhere and anytime.
5. If everyone being challenged produces their Coin, the challenger must buy a round of drinks for all challenged.
6. If you accidently drop your Coin and it makes an audible sound on impact, then you “accidentally” initiated a Coin Check.
7. There are no exceptions to the rules. They apply to clothed or un-clothed. One step and an arms reach are allowed.
8. A Coin is a Coin. They are not belt buckles, key chains or necklaces. Coins worn in a holder around the neck are valid.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ALWAYS CARRY YOUR COIN AS A REMINDER OF YOUR COMMITMENT AND CONNECTION TO SOMETHING BIGGER IN YOUR DAILY LIFE.[/FONT]

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
John:
Looks great :eusa_clap:icon_thum:eusa_clap
I have a question for you...
I do Shadow boxes for my former co-workers from the AF, one of the guys wants me to incorporate a 2 row coin holder into his...
Could you tell me the spacing and dimensions you used for the grooves. also, do you set it up so the coins lean back or sit upright
Thanks for any info
Gary

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
the rows are 1/4 deep x 1/4-5/16
if they have the coins in protective cases you may want to go with 3/8. But i usually go about 1/4 inch they should lean back if they are not in a case. I don't have any protective cases so i can't be sure how they would sit. I have been asked to make the 3/8 for the cases but never heard how they sit or fit.

The shelves i think are 3" wide and the grooves are 3/4 inch back from edges.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I like these even better, especially the top one.

What do you do, make the roundovers/ogees and glue them up in sections?

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
I like these even better, especially the top one.

What do you do, make the roundovers/ogees and glue them up in sections?

I used to. now i assembled the section after doing the groove. then round it over.

A friend of mine helps sometimes. He had a problem with the routing. He had a problem in stopping before going past the end and it would go a hair down the angle cut. so now i assemble the layer then rout it.

I also use pocket screw on the angle section so the wont come apart if the are dropped.

I have thrown a completed one across the shop to see if it would break and it didn't.

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Thanks for the info John
now i just have to get back to NC so i can start woodworking again
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS