Clock Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I saw a set of plans on the net for making a clock. I know that doesn't sound like much, except the entire clockworks are made of wood! Have any of you ever done a project like that? If so I'd love to hear of any tips and tricks associated with the project. I think I'm going to tackle the project, but don't hold your breath for the pictures! I'll post some when (and if) I get it done.

Ed

cskipper

Cathy
I've never tried one, though I've seen one - gears and all were wooden. More ambition and skill than I have. I'll be interested in your progress!

M

McRabbet

Ed,

Eagles fly high becasue they dare to do so -- good luck with such an ambititious project and we'll all add our applause when you accomplish your goal. Sounds like a fun project!

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that looks like a very cool project and not that difficult to make (according to the sales pitch:roll: ) I will watch with great interest as you become the guinea pig project tester on this one:-D

Dave:)

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
cskipper said:
I've never tried one, though I've seen one - gears and all were wooden. More ambition and skill than I have. I'll be interested in your progress!

I follow Cathy on this one, I dont have the time nor longing to do such a task. Buuuuutt, If you do, take lots-o-pics. Be blessed

SkintKnuckle

New User
Martin
Ed, actually I've been thinking of trying my luck on a similar project, when I run out of my current list of projects. I inherited a set of handy-man encyclopedias from my late father. Actually the set not all that good for projects and reference, I just keep them because of what they are. One of them has pretty good set of instructions for building a medieval style wooden clock with wooden gears.

The set is packed away and I'll try to dig it out this evening. I distinctly remember that the instructions for this piece recommended using quarter sawn cherry for the gears to minimize wood swell/shrinkage.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Ed I can't help but think a project like that would just be plain cool! It would have to be awesome to make your own clockworks and everything. I say give it a shot. Heres what I have learned. If you jump in over your head to start with you will learn more and progress your skills faster too. I say go for it, if you get stuck I am sure someone here will be able to help you out.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Years ago I made a wooden clock. Didn't keep very good time, but I used every skill I had and was forced to learn a lot of new ones. Mine was the very simple hour hand only version. 16th century; but it still took a lot of my time on the gears.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Don't know when this is going to happen, but I did receive the plans and after a quick scan, they look pretty good. I do not yet have a scroll saw, however I bought one on ebay for $30 (Dremel Model 1671 2 Speed 16" Scroll Saw.) I have to go to Cleveland, OH next week and that is where the saw is:eusa_danc, so I'll be picking it up (no shipping cost!). Hope this is a decent saw!:eusa_pray

(Don't know what's happened to my fonts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS