Clear, durable finish for sycamore bookcase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I am finishing up a quartersawn, spalted sycamore bookcase and will need to plan for the finish. I usually apply some ultra blonde shellac, then wipe on Pratt and lambert no. 38 varnish for most of my projects. I recently did this on a maple chest of drawers and while it looks good, it will be too yellow for this sycamore.

i am looking for some recommendations on other options that have good durability but minimal impact on tonality as this will be in a kids room and house books, toys and many Other random items. The case is 48x 32" so it may be a bit too large for brushing depending on the drying characteristics of the finish.

thx

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i'd probably stick w/ the blonde shellac. should be plenty of durability. my other thought would be a waterborne polycrylic finish -can be brushed or sprayed and unlike oil based varnish, imparts very little if any color.

Sam

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to the shellac as Sam suggested. Spraying several light coats will be adequate and dewaxed shellac durability is excellent too.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381714442624.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381714442624.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 115

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
David, you might want to experiment with darker shellac - such as amber or garnet instead of the super blonde.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I would pop the grain with BLO or watco danish oil, let dry and hit it with lacquer. 3-4 coats.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would pop the grain with BLO or watco danish oil, let dry and hit it with lacquer. 3-4 coats.
+1 on the BLO and lacquer! It will look museum quality!

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Hope I'm not too late,(new member) I made a wall cabinet out of Cherry with spalted sycamore flat panels. I only used lacquer on the sycamore before assembling and it looked great. Tried watco on a test piece and it was too dark. I'd send a picture but it's all packed up in storage while I'm building a shop (with a house around it).

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Poly is quite clear and very durable. Maybe a wipe-on poly. I have had good luck with wipe on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors