Classified Wood Sales Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
This is a continuation of the classified discussion in the BOD meeting. If I remember correctly, we identified there was a legitimate concern brought before the Board. The concern was that some of the users are using the classified section to sell their wood as a business. It was stated that this is ok in a thread but should not be allowed in the classified section under the current policy. Options that were brought up in discussion were:

1) Discontinue the use of the classified section for repeat sales and only allow in threads.
2) Charge a fee for these types of sales to benefit NCWW.
3) Create a paid section of the classifieds.
4) Offer these users a discounted side ad that repeats on certain pages.
5) Rewrite the policy to allow these types of sales.

Just thinking out loud as we discussed a lot of things. Correct me as needed.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Didn't we agree that businesses/repeat sales were not allowed to do classifieds but are allowed to do threads, basically item 1.

I don't think we ever decided whether to create a new forum or not.

I know Asheville Hardware and Bill Anderson posts their stuff in threads, and I think we agreed that was acceptable.

M

McRabbet

I agree with TP on Item 1 and thread posting by several commercial members. One thought that may help us solve the perceived problem with ads like Woodworkers Paradise being bumped many times -- can the Classifieds software be set to limit the number of bumps to one time? I.e., place an ad and you can refresh it one time. After that it stays in the Ads, but just won't stay on the front page because the OP cannot bump it again.

Tracy, are you going to talk to Rick to see if he may want to post "special offers" in threads (I thought we discussed this, right?).

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I am virtually cetain the classifieds CAN be modified to limit the number of times an item can be bumped. Travis summary is correct.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree with TP on Item 1 and thread posting by several commercial members. One thought that may help us solve the perceived problem with ads like Woodworkers Paradise being bumped many times -- can the Classifieds software be set to limit the number of bumps to one time? I.e., place an ad and you can refresh it one time. After that it stays in the Ads, but just won't stay on the front page because the OP cannot bump it again.

Tracy, are you going to talk to Rick to see if he may want to post "special offers" in threads (I thought we discussed this, right?).

We definitely discussed Rick being able to post special offers in threads.

Limiting the bumping is feasible, but it won't keep a woodworkersparadise from reposting the latest and greatest offers, plus, limiting bumping would stop a jeffrow :roll: from relisting that sliding table shaper 10 times.

M

McRabbet

I sent an email to Bill and Gwen at lumbersourcing.com and bcc'd all of the members of the BoD. The same should apply to woodworkersparadise -- should I send him the same email (edited, of course)? It is clear to me that he is running a business and we shouldn't let him continue posting his bargains. Agree?

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Looks good Rob. One sentence starts with "but" and then has anothe r"but" in it otherwise I would edit it for woodworkers paradise and send them the same notice, Anyone else want to chime in?

Doug

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I would send the edited version to woodworker's paradise, but what about Liftnaleg. He probably should get the same email.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I would send the edited version to woodworker's paradise, but what about Liftnaleg. He probably should get the same email.

Yes, but we should make clear that he has changed from a member offer one time sales to a business and therefore, the policy dictates that he change is method of advertising.

M

McRabbet

I was offline for a few hours to take LOML out to dinner since I was away all weekend and she was home alone -- thought she'd like a good meal rather than have me cook her one...

I did send a revised version of my email to Woodworkersparadise (Jeff Newton) with specific references to his ads and trust he'll delete them. I'll craft another one to Liftnaleg to let him know that he is now considered a commercial member. I'll also be sure to extend our appreciation for his donations to the raffle.

M

McRabbet

I've never heard back from Woodworkersparadise (Jeff Newton) after my email -- I locked all of his ads tonight at 1:00 AM. I will send him another email meesage to let him know of the action taken.

Has anyone reset the Bump counter (I would suggest it be set to 2 bumps) on the Classified Ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS