Cigar with antler plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I ahve had a "special project" in my head for a while.
Antler,walnut. maple with red and black"accents"
The walnut and maple veneers are .020(+-)
Thte "kerf of the inlay is .125
The kit is a black Ti cigar.
Antler_swirl.jpg

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Eagle, that is BEAUTIFUL! of course, I know you won't answer this question, but one must ask, "How do you do that?"

I had never imagined a segmented pen using antler, didn't think it could be done. COOL!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
WOW!!! Eagle, I love when I hear about your projects first and then finally get to see them. You really are good at envisioning these things you explained it to me, I really didn't fully grasp the concept, but now I see exactly what you are talking about.
Maybe that is why you make the pens that you do, and I make the ones that I do :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

How many layers of veneer are in the stripes, I can't focus well enough to count them 8-O?

Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
WOW!!! Eagle, I love when I hear about your projects first and then finally get to see them. You really are good at envisioning these things you explained it to me, I really didn't fully grasp the concept, but now I see exactly what you are talking about.
Maybe that is why you make the pens that you do, and I make the ones that I do :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

How many layers of veneer are in the stripes, I can't focus well enough to count them 8-O?

Each band of inlay has 5 pieces of veneer and a total of 6 Accents
(add in)
Dave this wasn't EXACTLY what I described to you.A "design opportunity" arose.

Last edited:

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Per Dave's message above, you may choose to answer to not answer this question, but being a newbie at all of this I'll ask anyway and plead ignorance.

How do you accomplish these wonderful designs? I am having a hard time visualizing how you assemble the materails together for the blank.

If it's propietary info, I understand. But they look incredible! Fantastic job. :eusa_clap

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Per Dave's message above, you may choose to answer to not answer this question, but being a newbie at all of this I'll ask anyway and plead ignorance.

How do you accomplish these wonderful designs? I am having a hard time visualizing how you assemble the materails together for the blank.

If it's propietary info, I understand. But they look incredible! Fantastic job. :eusa_clap

(PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST! Newbie.... Come here.SHHHH! keep this under your hat.Since you are a new comer I'll tell you but you have to swear that you won't tell anyone else, Okay? On your honor? Cross your heart and hope to die?.
Okay but remember I am telling you and no one else.
Lean closer so I can whisper this in your ear, I don't want anyone else to hear this.
I cut the stock and glue the pieces in)
You are now returned to your normal forum content.:-D

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
It seems that excessive CA use can lead to extreme senses of the humor :lol: . Any photos available from previous assemblies?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
(PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST! Newbie.... Come here.SHHHH! keep this under your hat.Since you are a new comer I'll tell you but you have to swear that you won't tell anyone else, Okay? On your honor? Cross your heart and hope to die?.
Okay but remember I am telling you and no one else.
Lean closer so I can whisper this in your ear, I don't want anyone else to hear this.
I cut the stock and glue the pieces in)
You are now returned to your normal forum content.:-D

:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:
Michael that is exactly how it is done. I'll give you some insights to some segmentation and laminations if you want, but only practice, vision, shear talent and a lot of luck can produce the results that Eagle does.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:
Michael that is exactly how it is done. I'll give you some insights to some segmentation and laminations if you want, but only practice, vision, shear talent and a lot of luck can produce the results that Eagle does.

YOu flatter me too much

There is one thing that you forgot.

You forgot what I consider the most important thing.
Ignorance.
I don't like to read "how to's or tutorials.
If I see an idea, concept or style that I think I can build upon I don't ask the creator how he or she got it to that point.
I start off on my own.If I get to a roadblock I try to work it out. After all attempts have failed( and something USUSALLY will work) I may contact someone for help.Often I will set it aside and eventually I will work around the problem.
I use normal full size wood working tools.Most are mid grade Grizzly TS, Freud blades but I use Diablo 7&1/4" on my TS for pen blanks because the kerf is .059.Much thinner than a thin kerfed 10" blade,
My DP is a Ryobi bench top but normally drill on the lathe as it is much more accurate for drilling patterned blanks.
The most important thing is to keep your fingers away from sharp spinny things.
My hands are never closer than 3" to the blade at any time.
I use a sled so I cannot use a blade guard.
I built my sled accurately and made it so I can rip a 24&3/4" piece of stock in it.
Most importantly I try to make what I haven't seen before and I don't listen to anyone who says,
"you can't do that", or "it can't be done"
The last thing I want to make is a pen that looks like one of the ones in the catolog of any of the pen kit suppliers.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Eagle, is this the one we talked about at WG's - with right zigs planned on all sides?
Yep that's the one.
I had a problem with something before I made the pocket for the second inlay.While trying to solve that problem I was distracted and lined up the blank from the wrong end.(brain fart).Once the problem was solved I continued on and made the wrong cut.
The blank DOES have 3 parallel laminations from each direction for a total of 6.(3 pairs of two all identical, so the concept works)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Sweet pen, Eagle! you are a talented (er, should I say brave) man creating that with antler. These complex pens are sharp.

I'm sorry I missed out on the Woodguy party last weekend. I was spending the day in the Napa Valley with my wife, so I was having fun, but wish the get together happened another time. I appreciate the heads-up from you and wish I could have met you in person/seen your 'pen museum'...and, of course, caught up with everyone else that was there! Please let me know next time you are up this way again!

Cheers,
Chris

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Geesh, even your fubar's turn out beautifully.

Cathy I had too much time and effort into the blank to scrap it because the second cut was wrong.
If I had screwed up on the secon AND third cuts then I would have scrapped it.
This is what the blank looked like before the first cut.
spiralsinewave002xv4.jpg

This is what you are looking at:
This is a hex blank a few thousandths over 3/4 wide on the flats.
The overall length is 8 & 1/8th inches
The "bands" of wood at each end and in the middle are maple. Their width is 3/4" give or take but they are all the same.
The "creamy" colored material is White tail deer antler that includes part of the "bone" portion of the skull.
The darker "gray" colored material is baking soda and thin CA.
There is also a bit of cherry in this picture but it will not be part of the blank.(I hope)
I have done a few tests to see if the concept of the design will work on this blank but have not made a complete blank like this as of yet.

Bottom line :
Did I get the results I anticipated?
Nope
Did I make a decent pen for all my efforts?
Yep
What did I learn form this even though the design did not turn out as planned?
Pay attention to the orientataion when making cuts.
Don't let a distraction throw you.
It is possible to laminate deer antler and wood veneers in this configuration.
AS far as the FUBAR is concerned.
Becasue I enjoy making and spen a lot of time designing my blanks, I use the term pencrafter to define what I do.
I once read that a craftsman does not hide the flaws ion his work he makes them a part of it.
I have not yet nor will I ever make a perfect pen.
Given those truths I figured I better get good at repairing the "flaws" and make them part of the design.
Thanks for your comment though.

cskipper

Cathy
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear - I was admiring the fact that you can adapt as you go and still get a spectacular pen! That is, in my opinion, a true demonstration of your skills. Some folks would have walked away after one or the other "changes in direction" instead of accepting them as design opportunities. As with your other pens, this is beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors