Choke Cherry / Walnut toothpick holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
My intent was to make this look like a little water goblet. The choke cherry is the scrap piece left over from the ice cream scoop. I glued the walnut piece on with 2-part 5 minute epoxy. Everything was going fine, until I decided to drill it out (on lathe) with a forsner bit. When I backed out the drill after completing my depth, the walnut separated perfectly at the glue line. The only thing I can think of is that the glue heated up and loosened. I was able to polish off the glue remnants, put on some titebond III, and then sand again (off by a micro-millimeter on roundness). Height is 3", top rim diameter 1 3/4". If you want to try this, I would suggest very slow and in stages the drilling so the epoxy does not soften from the heat of the drilling process. Sanded to 2000 grit, then 2 layers of minwax tung oil finish on the lathe. (two views, showing both sides, and with Toothpicks)

Dave Peterson

chokecherrytp.jpg

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
Toothpicks? a REALLY REALLY small lathe! Why, how do you make them?

I am done with the Choke Cherry for now. Next lathe project is to finish a handle for a gavel I am making (curly red oak)
Dave

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Toothpicks? a REALLY REALLY small lathe! Why, how do you make them?

I am done with the Choke Cherry for now. Next lathe project is to finish a handle for a gavel I am making (curly red oak)
Dave

I don't make toothpics - they come in a box from the store, they are pretty cheap too.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That is very nice, I love the grain of the choke cherry, kinda reminds me of canarywood...a little. And the Walnut is gorgeous too...Is that a crotch piece?

What size forsner bit did you use, speed, and did you do it on the lathe or drill press?

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
That is very nice, I love the grain of the choke cherry, kinda reminds me of canarywood...a little. And the Walnut is gorgeous too...Is that a crotch piece?

What size forsner bit did you use, speed, and did you do it on the lathe or drill press?

Yes, it was crotchwood. I have the Nova 22-42 and i used the lathe as a horizontal drill press. I had it on the lowest speed (below 200 rpm). I used a 1 3/8" bit and it was a brand new bit. I am going to use titebond III next time. The epoxy had cured for 4 days before i drilled it.

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
Dave,

The reason your glue joint failed is that you are gluing end grain to end grain. No matter what glue you use you are unlikely to get a good stable joint between these two surfaces. Next time try making a tenon on the walnut to match a hole (mortise) you drill in the cherry. That way you'll have some long grain against long grain to give you a good glue surface.

Jim

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
Jim: Best advice I have had on this type of application. I will give that a try next time. I am just a rookie, experimenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS