Cherry jewelry box...WIP-Updated pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well here's todays fruit of my labor. I still have to key the miters, free the top, finish the trays for the insides and then sand everything down, plus appling a finish. But I am happy with the results so far, and also realize why the guy whom I am coping the design from wants around $500 for a box like this. I've got about $30 in wood and 10 hrs. in it so far, with another 10 more to go :eusa_doh:

Cherryjewelrybox001.jpg

Cherryjewelrybox002.jpg

Thanks for looking :-D :-D :-D
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Re: Cherry jewelry box...WIP

Man....that is looking really good so far Dave. I like the dividers you have already added in the bottom drawer. What type of hinges did you decide to go with?

D L

T

toolferone

Hey, I think I recognize that wood:) . Looking good so far Dave. Looking forward to seeing finished. Does this box have a home already?

DaveO

New User
DaveO

The box has a home at my MIL's if my wife has her way. We'll see if it comes out good enough for my MIL.
I haven't decided on hinges yet, but will probably go with some sort of barrel hinge. What size will be determined by how heavy=y the lid feels after I cut it free. The A. Maple panel in it is a full 1/2" thick.

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Oh, man I like the wood selection. I can't wait to see it when you put some finish on! It IS amazing how long it takes to put together a box but it's gonna be worth it. :icon_thum

BTW, what type of wood did you use for the pull...BLUEWOOD?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well I got a little more done on my box today. It's ready for finishing, except for the last small removable tray that will sit in the upper box section.

Cherryjewelrybox005.jpg

Cherryjewelrybox006.jpg

Cherryjewelrybox007.jpg

Man, these dang boxes are a lot of work. Thanks for looking :eusa_danc

T

toolferone

Nice looking!! What did you decide on hinges? What are the overall dimensions?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
toolferone said:
Nice looking!! What did you decide on hinges? What are the overall dimensions?

I decide to go with 3 of the 5mm barrel hinges, I like how the chamfer on the back holds the lid open, and I had them on hand. I didn't feel like the 1/2 hr. drive to Woodcraft for different hinges :roll:
The box is 12" x 6" tall and 7" deep.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Fantastic looking box Dave.:icon_thum You did an excellent job reproducing that jewelry box while only having the one pic of it to work from. Is your liner some of that stick on felt you had or is it Suede-Tex? It looks great.

D L

erasmussen

New User
RAS
That turned out really great:eusa_clap
Its amazing how you can do that just working from a picture:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It's the stick on felt I got from Michael's. It doesn't look as good in person as it does in the pics. It's a very stretchy material and was hard to line up in the spaces:BangHead: . I think I'll used some of the Suede-tex to fill the gaps that have resulted. I should have done the whole bottom panel in the Suede-tex before I glued everything up, but that would have required another day to proceed. Most of my mistakes are prompted by my impatience :eusa_doh:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Dave, it looks really nice. Nobody but you will notice the felt application. They will be distracted by the beauty of the box. I still look forward to seeing it with the finish applied, it's gonna be really nice. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

How did you round the corners of the box sides...sander? Same for the edge where the top and bottom fit. I would be very nervous trying to rout after glue-up for fear of tearout. Your box looks flawless!

I have worked from a picture before and can really appreciate how good your proportions look. Very well balanced.

Chuck

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dave,

The box turned out awesome. I may have to come to you for some tips... my granddaughter has hinted for a jewelry box.

Ray

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, your box looks great. I almost never make boxes with fixed dividers because it has been my experience that unless you have sized the partitions and divider openings to suit a particular woman's jewelry they are usually not happy with how a man has decided to divide the space up. So I make my dividers removable. Doing this greatly simplifies lining the interior drawers and box bottoms. What I do is cut thin posterboard or matte board to the size of the drawer or box bottom less about 1/16" in both directions. Then I use soft fabrics such as velvet, ultrasuede or velour for my lining material. This allows you to have a variety of colors to choose from and this makes the women happy. I use spray adhesive to attach the fabric to the thin cardboard which is cut slightly oversize. Then I miter the corners and fold them to the back and hold them in place with double stick tape which also holds the liner in place. This helps eliminate the problems with the stretchable felt which only comes in a limited number of colors and textures..... Being able to finish the drawers/box bottoms without the liners or dividers in place greatly simplifies the finishing process...IMHO

DaveO

New User
DaveO
cpowell said:
Dave,

How did you round the corners of the box sides...sander? Same for the edge where the top and bottom fit. I would be very nervous trying to rout after glue-up for fear of tearout. Your box looks flawless!

Chuck

I used my router table, and it was hard as my hands were shaking from nerves:lol: . There was a lot of work done before I put it on the router, and I didn't want to screw it up. Got lucky this time :eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS